What Happens After Velvet

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, velvet just wiped out everything in my wifes nano reef. By the time i noticed it, they were gone within hours. In the tank is a small skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 trochus snails, and 1 turbo snail... along with a handful of corals. I still have no idea how velvet got into that tank. The only additions were a sinularia leather coral and the baby cleaner shrimp within the past 6-7 months. My question is whats next? I cannot find if velvet lingers in the tank and i still need to kill it. If so, how should i do this because i hear that copper is not good for pretty much everything i still have in the tank. Or after velvet kills the fish is it gone from the tank. Any help here is appreciated! I would rather not lose the rest of these guys!

Thanks!

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, if that truly is what killed the fish, is a fish only disease. So going fishless for 2 months should rid you of velvet because it needs a fish host.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a quarantine tank, you may want to invest in some Polyp Lab Medic for future outbreaks of ich and velvet (not saying this will happen, but better to be prepared). It's reef-safe, and can be introduced anytime. Velvet wiped out 1/3 of my fish and caused another 1/3 to be seriously ill, but between a UV and Medic I was able to save the remaining 2/3 of my fish without any additional losses.

I now run an oversized UV 24/7 and have several bottles of Medic on standby.

Last edited:

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to how it got there, it could have been in the water of the other additions to the tank, or the eggs could have lived in the rock of your leather when you got it. If those additions happen within the 2 weeks of velvet happening then that’s the likely culprit. If you’ve added nothing in there past 6 months then we might need to look elsewhere. Good luck. I lost all but my blue tang and watchman goby to velvet. It sucks hard!!

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to me after velvet… i stopped doing anything fish related because they were all dead. I turn the temperature up to speed up the life cycle of velvet and whatever else could be in the tank. I let it sit 4 months just adding fresh water to the point it dropped the salinity level several points to kill off other things. I never turn the lights on it took care of all the excessive algae growth.

I setup and learned how to quarantine all my new fish. I lost fish many years old. It was one of the worst situations in pet keeping i ever experienced. It wont happen to me i know how to inspect fish, it wont happen to me my store Qt the fish, it wont happen, it wont happen. Then one day every single animal was dead. Horrific.

Back