What has a known alkalinity to check calibration

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to find a liquid that has an alkalinity in the 8-10dkh range so I can spot check my testers. Cant seem to find much other than the Hannah which has a dkh of 5 if im not mistaken and would like something closer to the levels my tanks run at. Thanks.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I take a gallon of RODI and add alk buffer according to this calculator and trust the results? No way of entering in 0 dkh for RODI…

Attachments

• IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 17

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to find a liquid that has an alkalinity in the 8-10dkh range so I can spot check my testers. Cant seem to find much other than the Hannah which has a dkh of 5 if im not mistaken and would like something closer to the levels my tanks run at. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts...

1. If it is for a Hanna, I think needs to be a seawater solution to work properly.

2. I don't know of any consumer products that reliably have a specific total alkalinity near tank values.

3. A commercial standard can be a fine way to go, but then you are trusting the manufacturer.

A DIY can also work out.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DIY can also work out.

Totally OK with DIY- is there a reliable suggestion you can throw my way? I currently have a Hanna checker, Hydros X10, and a Kamoer KH Carer, and I’d like to develop an offset to keep the honest honest and be able to spot errant readings. Or at least double check them before I dig into water issues.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts...

1. If it is for a Hanna, I think needs to be a seawater solution to work properly.

2. I don't know of any consumer products that reliably have a specific total alkalinity near tank values.

3. A commercial standard can be a fine way to go, but then you are trusting the manufacturer.

A DIY can also work out.
Also- can I ask. If I use the Hannah 5dkh calibration set- is it a straight point for point up or down? Meaning, if say the 5dkh reads as 6dkh, can I translate that to reading 1dkh high regardless off what my seawater tests at, or is there some sort of logarithmic calculation that needs to be applied?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the best way to understand the accuracy of your three devices is to get an accurate measurement of your tank water, and test all three against it one after the other.

To do that, I'd buy a commercial acid standard, preferable 0.1 N HCl or H2SO4,a nd perform your own titration with a pH meter calibrated at pH 4 and 7:

A DIY Alkalinity Test: By Randy Holmes-Farley - REEFEDITION

THis one claims very high accuracy:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- can I ask. If I use the Hannah 5dkh calibration set- is it a straight point for point up or down? Meaning, if say the 5dkh reads as 6dkh, can I translate that to reading 1dkh high regardless off what my seawater tests at, or is there some sort of logarithmic calculation that needs to be applied?

I do not think the Hanna is useful. It is just a color set that checks the electronics, not the actual alk measurement reagents or protocol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it's largely useless, IMO.. It is not anything but a color standard.

Hanna Checker Instructions for Marine Alkalinity Standards:

1. 1. Thoroughly wipe standard cuvette with HI731318 lint free cloth and only handle using top of cuvette. The cuvette wall must be dry and free of smudges.
  2. 2. At the C. 1 prompt, place A, HI755-11 standard cuvette into the holder of the Checker and press operations button.
  3. 3. At the C. 2 prompt, place B, HI755-11 standard cuvette into the holder of the Checker and press operations button.
  4. Acceptable results must be between 90 and 110 ppm at 25°C

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, it's largely useless, IMO.. It is not anything but a color standard.

Hanna Checker Instructions for Marine Alkalinity Standards:

1. 1. Thoroughly wipe standard cuvette with HI731318 lint free cloth and only handle using top of cuvette. The cuvette wall must be dry and free of smudges.
  2. 2. At the C. 1 prompt, place A, HI755-11 standard cuvette into the holder of the Checker and press operations button.
  3. 3. At the C. 2 prompt, place B, HI755-11 standard cuvette into the holder of the Checker and press operations button.
  4. Acceptable results must be between 90 and 110 ppm at 25°C
No what? It tells you if your hanna checker is reading correctly. I mean - the alkalinity test itself is just a color reading ---> a number, right?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally OK with DIY- is there a reliable suggestion you can throw my way? I currently have a Hanna checker, Hydros X10, and a Kamoer KH Carer, and I’d like to develop an offset to keep the honest honest and be able to spot errant readings. Or at least double check them before I dig into water issues.
Just a question - How do you tell if, when you check alkalinity with your solution, and its different from what it should be where the problem is. I would suggest the way to test your hanna is to use another confirmatory test (i.e. a different brand) - using a standard would seem more useful if you could calibrate the hanna itself. I am not sure you can use the GHL standard to check the Hanna

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No what? It tells you if your hanna checker is reading correctly. I mean - the alkalinity test itself is just a color reading ---> a number, right?

If the reagents are bad, your cuvettes are scratched, your timing is bad, etc, it tests none of that.

IMO, it should not be called an alkalinity standard.

It is more like a machine function check, not a standard.

A real standard would be, say, 8 dKH in seawater. Treat it just as you treat tank water in a test. Does it give 8 dKH? I expect they do not because folks would not like the results. lol

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question - How do you tell if, when you check alkalinity with your solution, and its different from what it should be where the problem is. I would suggest the way to test your hanna is to use another confirmatory test (i.e. a different brand) - using a standard would seem more useful if you could calibrate the hanna itself. I am not sure you can use the GHL standard to check the Hanna
I’m not sure. I have Hydros testing one of my tanks. KH Carer on another one. And a Hannah free floating around like the drifter that it is. Would love to find an offset for the Hannah to spot check the auto testers.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the reagents are bad, your cuvettes are scratched, your timing is bad, etc, it tests none of that.

IMO, it should not be called an alkalinity standard.

It is more like a machine function check, not a standard.

A real standard would be, say, 8 dKH in seawater. Treat it just as you treat tank water in a test. Does it give 8 dKH? I expect they do not because folks would not like the results. lol
Ok - totally agree. But - thinking about it, if the reagents are bad, your cuvettes are scratched or timing is off - the 8 DKH standard will have the same problems? I'm not arguing just trying to understand why not to use the test the manufacturer recommends?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure. I have Hydros testing one of my tanks. KH Carer on another one. And a Hannah free floating around like the drifter that it is. Would love to find an offset for the Hannah to spot check the auto testers.
I would use another test kit that has about the same accuracy as the Hanna - if they disagree, there are 2 choices, 1 the hanna is wrong, 2. the other test is wrong. Good news is you have other tanks which 'known' alkalinities - that you can use to compare

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use another test kit that has about the same accuracy as the Hanna - if they disagree, there are 2 choices, 1 the hanna is wrong, 2. the other test is wrong. Good news is you have other tanks which 'known' alkalinities - that you can use to compare
I’m coming to the conclusion that Salifert reads around .4dkh lower than both Hydros X10 and KH Carer, and that Hannah reads around .8dkh lower than X10 and KH Carer. I would love to have a certain dkh fluid or way to mix a certain dkh to test all 3.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back