What have I done

BigAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my wife and I had a marine tank 10 years ago and I have forgotten almost all of what I learnt back then. I have just bought a second hand but immaculate fluval M90 tank and just starting out from scratch with it. Comes with a skimmer and whatever else it came with from new I’m not adding fish until I get it all set up and the water is spot on. Iv got 20kg of healthy mature live rock on its way from a reputable local suppler. Just scratching my head over RO. Do I buy the unit to make my own or do I use a product solution iv seen YouTube you just add in? Nightmare I’d rather come here where the real experts gather. We don’t have a local place that it would be easy for me to buy RO water that’s my dilemma. Anyway hello and apologies for the trillion questions I’m about to unleash. Looks like a cracking forum I’m looking forward to spending hours reading posts to REEFresh my memory see that my jokes are as bad as my aquarium understanding.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
tenor (9).gif
#WelcometoR2R

A trillion questions is what we live for ;)
I would suggest getting an RO/DI unit and making your own water. The unit pays for itself after a while. So much easier than lugging buckets of water from the supplier to your car, drive home, and then carry them from your car into the house.

OP
OP
B

BigAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks appreciate the advice I don’t have a lot of space in the house so I was thinking of putting the RO unit is a plastic insulated box with a lid on and plumb it into the outside tap and a new water butt outside what’s your thoughts on that?

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks appreciate the advice I don’t have a lot of space in the house so I was thinking of putting the RO unit is a plastic insulated box with a lid on and plumb it into the outside tap and a new water butt outside what’s your thoughts on that?
I'd still put it inside, but that really depends on where you are. If it's colder climate with freezing temperatures you don't want your filters and membrane (and pipes) to freeze during winter. Go for a reliable BRS or SpectraPure unit and you'll be more than happy that you can produce your own RO/DI water, you'll see very quickly.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Some of your RO/DI units connect right to the faucet. You could aways hook it up, use it, unhook it when your fishished and put it away. It takes me less than 5 minutes to hookup and start making water. Pretty handy.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my wife and I had a marine tank 10 years ago and I have forgotten almost all of what I learnt back then. I have just bought a second hand but immaculate fluval M90 tank and just starting out from scratch with it. Comes with a skimmer and whatever else it came with from new I’m not adding fish until I get it all set up and the water is spot on. Iv got 20kg of mature live rock on its way from a reputable local suppler. Just scratching my head over RO. Do I buy the unit to make my own or do I use a product solution iv seen YouTube you just add in? Nightmare I’d rather come here where the real experts gather. We don’t have a local place that it would be easy for me to buy RO water that’s my dilemma. Anyway hello and apologies for the trillion questions I’m about to unleash. Looks like a cracking forum I’m looking forward to spending hours reading posts to REEFresh my memory see that my jokes are as bad as my aquarium understanding.
You will love it here. I promise. If you can purchase an RO/DI unit, that is the way to go. You don't want to be hauling water back and forth. The RO/DI unit pays for itself within a few months. Welcome! Glad you joined us.
Deadpool.gif

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is a 36 gallon tank, if you do not run a sump. I have a 32 gallon tank. I have 2 each 7 gallon water containers that I use to hold LFS water. I rotate them out and always have at least a 25% emergency water change on hand. It could get you started anyway.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back