What heater/heater controller (non-Apex, etc.) is everyone using...?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets BUMP this thread up.
I am between Ranco and the IM Helio.

the helio is pre set at 77 but I need a max 73 can it do it?
should I just go with my orginal plan and get the Ranco? been wanting to use them for 10+ years now...

does Hydros offer just a temp controller? :thinking-face: google here i come.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets BUMP this thread up.
I am between Ranco and the IM Helio.

the helio is pre set at 77 but I need a max 73 can it do it?
should I just go with my orginal plan and get the Ranco? been wanting to use them for 10+ years now...

does Hydros offer just a temp controller? :thinking-face: google here i come.

you can change what the settings are on the Helio. I guess I never thought to check how low you can go.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can change what the settings are on the Helio. I guess I never thought to check how low you can go.

I read on a BRS review of the helico temp controller:

"I ordered this along with 2 BRS heater elements. When I set everything up, I tried to calibrate this controller (reading 79.0) to match my aquarium controller temperature (reading 78.3) by inputting a -0.7 calibration, but the Helios display doesn't show the new 'calibrated temperature'. Just kept saying 79.0. I contacted IM support, and they said this is correct.....the controller will not display the real time calibrated temperature, but they said it will factor in the calibration and the set temperature and hold the correct temperature in the end. Which I could then confirm with my aquarium controller. So basically the display is kinda useless and misleading.
Also, the set point can only be set to whole numbers. So they recommended that if I wanted 78.5 for example, to trick the controller by using the calibration function.
Going to try to return it, but if I can't, I'm afraid to even use this thing in my tank, gonna try it in a bucket first, so I don't know how well it actually holds temperature. But for now I'm giving it 1 star for having such a poor interface."

I do have one of those fancy temp calibration tools but would be nice to have the display read the correct temp, as that is very important for seahorse not to get above 74F I plan to run my tank 72 +/- 1 degree or less.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"I ordered this along with 2 BRS heater elements. When I set everything up, I tried to calibrate this controller (reading 79.0) to match my aquarium controller temperature (reading 78.3) by inputting a -0.7 calibration, but the Helios display doesn't show the new 'calibrated temperature'. Just kept saying 79.0. I contacted IM support, and they said this is correct.....the controller will not display the real time calibrated temperature, but they said it will factor in the calibration and the set temperature and hold the correct temperature in the end. Which I could then confirm with my aquarium controller. So basically the display is kinda useless and misleading.
Also, the set point can only be set to whole numbers. So they recommended that if I wanted 78.5 for example, to trick the controller by using the calibration function.
Going to try to return it, but if I can't, I'm afraid to even use this thing in my tank, gonna try it in a bucket first, so I don't know how well it actually holds temperature. But for now I'm giving it 1 star for having such a poor interface."

I do have one of those fancy temp calibration tools but would be nice to have the display read the correct temp, as that is very important for seahorse not to get above 74F I plan to run my tank 72 +/- 1 degree or less.
Seems to keep my temp stable at 78. I've seen it drop too 77.4 then back up. I've also watched it drop too 76.3 once. So idk

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hm..

It seems to hold temps extremely well. I have had mine since release and it has worked flawlessly.

Bummer it can't show calibration though, odd.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so, as most of you know. I was hoping for a simple cost effective but works offering form hydros, there kinda is but just like the apex one "should" have a controller for there controller. in other words have 3 layers of protection the heater, temp controller then hydros just like the apex. boo

anyway i'll go with the Ranco then.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have no complaints about my wifi Inkbird, easy to work the app and set up alerts and set the temperature

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back