What I learned from my first reef tank

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums in one form or another for over 20 years and I have always wanted to try saltwater, but I was always too scared.

During lockdown I had some free time and a little extra cash so I decided to make the plunge! After having my first reef tank up for year and a half (and my longest running tank ever) I bought a house and had to take my first saltwater tank down. My first tank was a massive success even though I used a repurposed canister filter and a HOB skimmer. I learned some things and I would like to share those things here.

5E7u0wA.jpg

- It's easier than you think, arguably easier than freshwater - Especially easier than hightech planted tanks
- Skimmers aren't quite must haves, but they are more than a nice to have
- USE RODI WATER, NOT TAP WATER
- Put your rock on the bottom glass and then put the sand in
- Don't have any equipment hanging over the rim, this will prevent you from making a gapless screen lid. Your most expensive fish will find the 1/2" gap in your lid and become a fish chip
- Don't be sucked into the "SPS is better than softie/LPS" nonsense. I like Softies and LPS, no interest in SPS, that doesn't make my tank inferior
- Feed way less than you think is needed - Don't use an auto feeder everyday, it just puts too much food in
- Use high quality salt - the cheap stuff leaves grime and muck in your mixing container
- Auto top off system is amazing, the freshwater hobby needs to adopt this hardware even just to replenish evaporated fresh water
- Get high quality lights, I used cheap Chinese lights, and they worked, I had a lot of success, but the colors were never there.
- Use a sump
- Use a roller mat as mechanical filtration
- Have patience, nothing in this hobby happens fast. Freshwater tanks are fully gown out and "done" in 6 months, reefs take a lot longer!
- Don't put a Kenya tree in your tank unless you're okay with it spreading everywhere
- Glue/epoxy/attach your rocks together, don't just stack them with hopes and dreams
- Be very careful scraping your glass, it's easy to get grains of sand in your scraper and scratch your glass
- Be religious about scraping your glass, every day or every other day. It's a lot easier to scrape fresh algae off the glass than caked on algae that's been sitting for a week
- know your limits... If you want a certain coral or fish that has special needs, make sure you are willing to meet those needs. like a fish that won't eat flake food, know that before you get it and be sure you're okay with those constraints.

I think that's about it. I'm planning my next build and I'm really excited to apply what I learned to the next one!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are many ways to skin a cat in reefing so what may not have worked well for you may not necessarily be true of the next person's system. regardless, its great to hear its been enjoyable!

BirdRockReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great summary! I've been in it for 18 months.. moving slow since I have a lot of saving goals and don't want to dump 1000s into my tank (yet). Focusing a lot on equipment.

But That's a unique point on scraping the glass daily! I notice mine gets coated in algae so fast and have yet to find a solution..but diligence may be the solution.

Scraping is kinda calming to me anyways :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back