What if any decorator crab could go in a 15 gallon?

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, Really want a decorator crab! I stopped my my LFS a little while ago and I saw their small sponge decorator crab in their 200 gallon tank. I was fascinated by it and I wanted to know what decorator crab if any would do the best in a 15 gallon innovative marine cube tank? I attached a picture below of the tank and it’s aquascape to see if that would help with choosing a crab! Currently the stocking is a pair of clowns a trocus snail and in the future I am planning to make this a mixed reef.
IMG_5550.jpeg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep any decorator in a 10.

Just no more than 1.

IME sponge decorators are small pet rocks and get boring very quickly, they tend to not use anything but sponges too. Spider decorators will move around a bit... you probably won't see it actually move around but you'll know it changed spots at least.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highly recommend the sponge decorator crab, super interesting with lots of personality, i have one, its my profile pic! mine wears GSP on his back

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep any decorator in a 10.

Just no more than 1.

IME sponge decorators are small pet rocks and get boring very quickly, they tend to not use anything but sponges too. Spider decorators will move around a bit... you probably won't see it actually move around but you'll know it changed spots at least.
Have you had one before?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had one before?

Yes, both kinds.

Spider decorators are pretty entertaining but get huge. They don't move much but it was always in a different spot when I checked on it and a fun "where's waldo" minigame for the tank. They're also not picky on what they decorate with.

Sponge decorator I've literally seen stand in the same exact spot without moving in the open sand for a month, the only indication it was alive being the antenna and after that month it finally decided to munch on a dead lemon anglefish back to standing still. It didn't even decorate and at that time there was plenty of hair algae (most likely cause they're primary sponges only).

I've never had frilly arrows yet though.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, both kinds.

Spider decorators are pretty entertaining but get huge. They don't move much but it was always in a different spot when I checked on it and a fun "where's waldo" minigame for the tank. They're also not picky on what they decorate with.

Sponge decorator I've literally seen stand in the same exact spot without moving in the open sand for a month, the only indication it was alive being the antenna and after that month it finally decided to munch on a dead lemon anglefish back to standing still. It didn't even decorate and at that time there was plenty of hair algae (most likely cause they're primary sponges only).

I've never had frilly arrows yet though.
Ok thanks the one at my LFS is always moving around so that is interesting that yours did not.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The one at your LFS is probably trying to find somewhere to hide.

I've kept a sponge decorator. They don't move much, and, in the absence of a sponge to wear, they don't wear anything except the algae that grows on them. Go for a spider decorator.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back