What in my home-brew phyto?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, so I've been home brewing phyto for a few months now so wanted to check whats in it now under a microscope. It originally was seeded with phyto feast.

This is what I see under the microscope. There are some very large structures (not pictured) that i know is algae but most of it is still what I pictured below. Are the round ones tetra? Is? Or nanno? What are the stick things? Cyano?

Trying to decide if I should still use this batch, or reseed with something pure.
20210828_215134.jpg
20210828_213800.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phyto feast is a mixture of several kinds of phyto. When culturing phyto, the different strands of phyto require different lighting and photo periods, so by using one photo period to culture them, you will eventually lose some of the strands of phyto. I don't know how anyone can answer your question by looking at those pictures.

The most common way of culturing phyto is to use one strand, the most common, and the easiest, is nanochloropsis. If you search the forum of phyto cultures, you will see most of the pics are green, that is the nano phyto. I've tried nano and Isochrysis, which was more difficult.

If you culture one type of phyto, then you can research it properly to give it the best growing conditions, so you end up with the best phyto possible, compared to what you have right now, which you don't know what you have.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, you got me very curious, I will start culturing phyto feast today, I want to see what happens.

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, you got me very curious, I will start culturing phyto feast today, I want to see what happens.
Thanks

When i first seeded with phytofeast, the first batch was this brown/green/yellow shade which i guess was due to the Iso which from what i read is a golden yellow/brown color. Each subsequent batch i made turned progressively greener so im probably left with Nanno or Tet (probably nanno from the size)

next batch i'll probably start with a pure nanno seed just to see the difference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back