What is "100% silicone"?

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When sealing a tank, we're told to use "100% silicone" adhesive. That made since until just now when I learned I needed "100% silicone" lubricant to seal the o-rings on my canister filters. Clearly the sticky adhesive silicone can't be the same thing as the greasy lubricant. "100%" - I don't think it means what you think it means.

This is more a rant than anything else since I'll continue to use the brands that either I or other reefers have used and which haven't yet killed my fish. But, out of curiosity, are there any chemists in the crowd that have an explanation? I suspect it's that "silicone" is not just one thing, but a class of things of various formulations (as described on Wikipedia). Does anyone know (and perhaps we'll need the marketing lawyers in addition to the chemists) if "100% silicone" really is something we can rely on when choosing aquarium products? Or are there formulations that count as "100% silicone" that wouldn't be aquarium safe? I'm specifically concerned because the Wikipedia article describes a "Platinum-based cure system". Platinum being a heavy metal, I would be reluctant to put that in my tank.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anyone is referring to 100% pure Silicon, as in the element Si.

Thats too reactive, and would be found as Silica (SiO2). Which is a primary component in these "Silicone" products.

AKA: Silicone is a broad term for products that utilize Silica. Alone, agreed the term is not particularly useful. Grease, adhesives, etc may use silica.

This is example SDS for 100% Silicone sealant, if that helps at all.

bIqiD83.png

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back