What is a drain's flow rate?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've seen this chart everywhere:

I've also seen a zillion discussions of that chart that I find very confusing.

I just want to know: If I have a full siphon drain line that goes from an external overflow box down about 3' to the sump below, do I want to use the gravity number, or assume some amount of pressure?

The discussions I see talk about how depending on your drop length (for example), you'll get a lot faster than the GPH given for gravity only. Huh? How is that possible? What else besides gravity is at work here? I'm not actively pushing water down my drains with a pump, for example. There is a return pump, of course. But that just shoots water up the return pipe. It's not pushing water down the drain pipes. Water is simply falling down the drains. Full siphon or no full siphon, there is only gravity.

Or is that the wrong way to think about it? Is that chart trying to say that gravity means how fast water falls off a cliff thru a given pipe size, but if there's a full siphon (a column of water running some length down a drain), then you should consider that your water is somehow under pressure by virtue of the weight of the water column that forms in the pipe (no such thing exists off a cliff/splash drain)? I guess that might make sense, but it makes my brain hurt somehow to think about what's happening to the water before it enters the drain pipe. I guess it's generally just not under pressure (well, depending on depth, etc. etc.).

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity only is the maximum you can get assuming you don't add a pump of some sort.

It can only go down from there. Additional length or bends only decreases that number but not by a ton.

The height difference makes no difference whatsoever

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a good article on Bean Animal website “Hydraulics for the Aquarists “

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So given that I'm choosing between 1/2" and 1" PVC for the full siphon drain, I'm choosing between 200 and 600 GPH without a gate valve, plus whatever extra spill over goes down the passive drain line.

Correct?

Last edited:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your overflow will only let your tank get so low then stop this is the beauty of a overflow the tank leaval will always be the same but the water in the sump will vary it will drop do to evaporation . Just make sure your sump can hold all water from tank when power goes out. Or you will have a mess.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So given that I'm choosing between 1/2" and 1" PVC for the full siphon drain, I'm choosing between 200 and 600 GPH without a gate valve, plus whatever extra spill over goes down the passive drain line.

Correct?
Yes. I wouldn't use half inch though. It's too easy to clog. Go with either 3/4" or 1" even if you only want 200gph.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered 3/4" for the full siphon. There will be a 1.5" to 3/4" reducer at the union coming off the synergy reef overflow box.

During the build out, I'll test, but hope to not have a gate valve. Should that ever not work out, I'll have the exact pipe lengths recorded (and using Spears parts for the various fittings, have extra but can also buy more of those as needed) so I can just build a replicate full siphon drain line that includes a gate valve, and when that is all cured and ready, swap out in a minute because of the union.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered 3/4" for the full siphon. There will be a 1.5" to 3/4" reducer at the union coming off the synergy reef overflow box.

During the build out, I'll test, but hope to not have a gate valve. Should that ever not work out, I'll have the exact pipe lengths recorded (and using Spears parts for the various fittings, have extra but can also buy more of those as needed) so I can just build a replicate full siphon drain line that includes a gate valve, and when that is all cured and ready, swap out in a minute because of the union.

Thanks all.
I would just put the gate in from the start. I have a 3/4" drain and run a eheim 1262 return not throttled at all and I need to crank the gate valve about 25% to get it silent.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have two DC pumps I can tune, and have pre-calculated the range of turn over I'd like and which the combination of pumps, tuning, and a 3/4" drain should give me. Theoretically! Will just have to see how it goes in practice.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back