What is a protein skimmer?

I added
2 gogorians
A Zoanthid
A hammer
A green star
Frogspawn
2 birdsnest
A lepto
A cabbage leather
A duncan
A Candy cane
A trumpet

from those corals do you think I need a protein skimmer?
I got nearly all acros with high “nutrients”, I ain’t got one. I had a softy tank with a skimmer that didn’t do a lot, apart from aeration.
 
This is my tank without a protein skimmer. I have green star, hammer, frogspawn, candy cane, palys, leathers, gorgs, BTA, bird's-nest and even a lepto. My tank does have macroalgae for nutrient uptake. The macros take up dissolved organics the same as a skimmer and I like the looks of them.
IMG_20230402_164456435.jpg
How big is it?
 
How big is it?
My tank is a 56 gallon column tank. It does have a 30 gallon basement sump and I have a very easy, effective water change station to keep nutrients in control when the macroalgae is not enough by itself.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new