What is an invert you would never get again?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
30,925
Reaction score
54,402
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always talk about our favorite CUC/invert in our tank, but what about those we no longer like? I am wondering what the one invert you would never have again in your tank is and why. ( This can be one you have right now or one you had In the past.) Photo Credit: Shornik
Conch C.jpg
 
Hermit crabs. As they get bigger the shells get huge and they're so clumsy. They just whip them around, knock frags over, fall onto corals, etc. Snails are way better.
 
Last edited:
Hermit crabs. As they get bigger the shells get huge and they're so clumsy. They just wip them around, knock frags over, fall onto corals, etc. Snails are way better.
And here I was thinking about getting hermit crabs, haha.
 
Added a Strawberry Conch a few months ago to get some sand sifting action going but the goober just stays on the rock and surface knocking over my gorg and rooting out my macros. I have a single Tongan Nassarius that appears like once or twice every week, definitely doing some sand sifting.

And here I was thinking about getting hermit crabs, haha.

I think you can get away with the blue legs, they remain fairly small. Snails produce their own shells and they get bigger overtime, hermits do not
 
No more hermit crabs for me, or any crab for that matter.

Also, fromia star -- tried once and it looked healthy for the expected 8-9 months then disappeared while I was on vacation. (I assume it just happened to go downhill quickly and disintegrate while I was gone).
 
I won't ever put another pistol shrimp in my main display... he stole frags and bulldozed the sand regularly ( was great for sanded cleaning though)
I saw a post not too long ago where someone's pistol was stealing a ton of frags from the person's tank, haha.
 
Sea hare….they would eat and eat, then a few days later I would find them releasing ink in the filter.
 
Emerald crabs. I have always defended crabs, mainly because they bring too much personality to the tank to exclude them. I had a emerald mithrax and a ruby. The ruby chomped on my favorite coral within 10 minutes of adding it to the tank. The emerald waited a week to do the same. Now I have 2 goofy blue leg hermits they've been good boys so far, my trick is to keep adding more shells and replace the ones they don't like, which is easy for me I because I have so many from various beaches.
 
Sea hare….they would eat and eat, then a few days later I would find them releasing ink in the filter.

I’ve had a few and have never seen this before.

They do the best job I’ve ever seen at clearing algae.
 
I’ve had a few and have never seen this before.

They do the best job I’ve ever seen at clearing algae.
Oh for sure, they are super good at eating algae!!! I remember, when I had one, I could actually see the algae going in to its mouth and coming off the rock!!!…..I am not sure if I kept getting old ones, or they just don’t do good in my tank. But I went through 3 of them before I realized snails are more realistic.
 
I have an electric blue leg, hes easily 4 or 5 years old, has lived in multiple tanks, and hes just a menace. Bulldozer. Knocks over Everything cause of his size, but been around so long, even lived a solid year in the sump, was mad i moved him from there, but that guy, thats the guy id probly never do again. Haloweens, great. Not clumsy. This dude, total opposite. Zero awareness of his shell, or size. Or, just doesnt care..
 
I have an electric blue leg, hes easily 4 or 5 years old, has lived in multiple tanks, and hes just a menace. Bulldozer. Knocks over Everything cause of his size, but been around so long, even lived a solid year in the sump, was mad i moved him from there, but that guy, thats the guy id probly never do again. Haloweens, great. Not clumsy. This dude, total opposite. Zero awareness of his shell, or size. Or, just doesnt care..
He telling the other crabs about his year in the slammer.
 
Hermit crabs. As they get bigger the shells get huge and they're so clumsy. They just whip them around, knock frags over, fall onto corals, etc. Snails are way better.
Oh man, I LOVE hermit crabs. Because they're clumsy! I had put some HC empty shells in the tank as decoration. I was SHOCKED when a HC moved into one! Not sure WHY I was surprised......Cause that's what they do. It was amusing.

And I've never had a bad Invert. I've lucked out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new