What is at fault?

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my saltwater in the tank. According to my API test kit, it was 2 DKH, even though i changed water 3-4 days ago. I just beat cyano in that tank, So maybe it's the cause? I went and made a batch of my IO salt to see if it is the salt or API. It tests the exact same. 2 DKH. I tested tap water and it was approx 4-5 DKH. tap water tested higher than fresh saltwater. Is it the salt or API?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, Ill go return my test kit (if it is still possible to return) Also, my KH bottle seems to have leaked. could that cause the API tests to be inaccurate?
Possibly, but I really doubt it. Loss of the reagent through spillage or leakage should not change the overall concentration of the solution. Loss through evaporation will cause the reagent to become more concentrated and can affect the test results but that does not sound like the case here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, but I really doubt it. Loss of the reagent through spillage or leakage should not change the overall concentration of the solution. Loss through evaporation will cause the reagent to become more concentrated and can affect the test results but that does not sound like the case here.
ill just test the other values rq, and Ill post params. I hope its just KH, and nothing else.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calcium is 420-480. Inbetween that amount. so seems like KH is the problem, ill go buy a KH test kit from salifert (only $15 each), as salifert would cost too much, $75 dollars, for a full thing like API kit, but API Kh is $10, so i can afford to pay 5 extra dollars. Thanks for helping Sean!

Upvote 0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~9-12 inches tall. 4-6 inches wide.
Hills brothers right!!! . Seriously though if your container is metal with salt you run the risk of rust which can could end up being really bad if you put it in the tank by way of the salt . If it’s plastic no worries ,but if not get your salt out of the can and either line it with plastic bag to find a plastic container

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hills brothers right!!!
folgers
Sparkle Skull GIF by jjjjjohn

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back