What is attacking my green mushroom?

UnstuckinTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R,

I'm hoping I can get some help with figuring out what is attacking/going on with one of my new corals- a fluorescent green mushroom. I've had it for just over two weeks, and it has never been as happy and as expanded as the purple one I got with it. After the first week, it started getting these weird brown-and-white growths all over it. I did a DI/RO dip, but they didn't come off. I actually tried to physically remove one but it is FIRMLY attached. I mean, it's possible, but I want to emphasize the point that they're really holding on there. The purple mushroom coral is very content and has none of these weird growths/parasites. I have not been able to find any pictures of anything like this online, which is why I have turned to you guys for suggestions. Anyway, here (http://imgur.com/a/Qyig8) is the coral in question. Let me know what you think!

Aquarium parameters: Size: 2.5gal (pico)
Lighting: 9, 10V white LEDs
Salinity: 1.023-1.024
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 10 mg/L
Nitrite: don't test
Ammonia: don't test
Phosphate: 5 mg/L
Calcium: don't test
Alkalinity: 14.5* (very high, I know, I haven't figured that one out yet. Perhaps left over from when I was dosing to try to get the pH up. Because the purple mushroom coral is fine, I don't think that's the culprit here)

Thanks in advance!

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a mushroom guy (trying to get the few I have out of my tank), but looks like a parasite of some kind. Not sure if mushrooms get them. I would try a Bayer dip. Search R2R, you will find lots of how to dose bayer threads.

ESVAreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a parasite, those are mesenterial filaments mushrooms commonly extrude them while stressed. 5 mg/l phos is way to high might retest that. 5 mg/l nitrate is fine! Alk and phos are way off. Another measure people take is to get them out of direct light which can cause those bumps you were talkin about. If something is feeding on the shroom take a flashlight to the tank after dark.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back