What is best way to revive chaeto?

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some chaeto to a fairly new tank and it was doing ok. I had some cyano show up so I decided to use Vibrant. My chaeto started to get pretty sad looking so I removed it from the tank and I have it in a bucket with a light on it. I have been putting in some coral food for nutrients and using my old water from water changes but the chaeto is still just a mushy blob. what is the best way to revive dying chaeto?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I have algae in my DT and I intend to use some Fluconazole, so I pulled my chaeto. It's in a 5g holding tank with flow and a light. I added some fertilizer to bump up nitrate and phosphate levels. That was just yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some chaeto to a fairly new tank and it was doing ok. I had some cyano show up so I decided to use Vibrant. My chaeto started to get pretty sad looking so I removed it from the tank and I have it in a bucket with a light on it. I have been putting in some coral food for nutrients and using my old water from water changes but the chaeto is still just a mushy blob. what is the best way to revive dying chaeto?
A really bright pink horticulture led light

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I have algae in my DT and I intend to use some Fluconazole, so I pulled my chaeto. It's in a 5g holding tank with flow and a light. I added some fertilizer to bump up nitrate and phosphate levels. That was just yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck.
I did this recently for the same reason and it worked great. I used a bubbler along with my regular regugium light for 3 weeks ghost feeding with mysis and phyto for my pods and it flourished and kept growing. I put it back in the tank when ready and it was good to go.

To the OP, depending on the condition of the chaeto, you may be better off disposing and starting fresh. If you have decay of the bulk of the chaeto is white then there is no return. Best bet is to remove as much decay and dead matter to hopefully revive whatever is left alive. Either way, flow or a bubbler will also help whatever is left.

OP
OP
D

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this recently for the same reason and it worked great. I used a bubbler along with my regular regugium light for 3 weeks ghost feeding with mysis and phyto for my pods and it flourished and kept growing. I put it back in the tank when ready and it was good to go.

To the OP, depending on the condition of the chaeto, you may be better off disposing and starting fresh. If you have decay of the bulk of the chaeto is white then there is no return. Best bet is to remove as much decay and dead matter to hopefully revive whatever is left alive. Either way, flow or a bubbler will also help whatever is left.
The chaeto isn’t white, it’s just mushy and doesn’t look good. I will try feeding it mysis. I wasn’t sure how long it would take mysis to break down for the chaeto.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto isn’t white, it’s just mushy and doesn’t look good. I will try feeding it mysis. I wasn’t sure how long it would take mysis to break down for the chaeto.
Ammonia would be better

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
To be honest chaeto not growing usually means its starved of nutrients. (doesnt matter how it looks, if its not growing this is why)
Not a bad sign in the early process, I think as you add more livestock, increase waste, etc, you can add chaeto and see it grow. Just go about feeding your fish as you normally would, as recommended, and when you see nitrates start to spike add some chaeto, no point until then.

Not many people talk about it, but there is a cycle after the initial cycle, it occurs when the tank has to adjust to your added livestock, and does not happen immediately.
I do not know if you started with live or dry rock, if you started with live rock from the ocean full of algae and growth, then you do not need chaeto, if you started with dry, just wait for the spike and it will grow.

OP
OP
D

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
To be honest chaeto not growing usually means its starved of nutrients. (doesnt matter how it looks, if its not growing this is why)
Not a bad sign in the early process, I think as you add more livestock, increase waste, etc, you can add chaeto and see it grow. Just go about feeding your fish as you normally would, as recommended, and when you see nitrates start to spike add some chaeto, no point until then.

Not many people talk about it, but there is a cycle after the initial cycle, it occurs when the tank has to adjust to your added livestock, and does not happen immediately.
I do not know if you started with live or dry rock, if you started with live rock from the ocean full of algae and growth, then you do not need chaeto, if you started with dry, just wait for the spike and it will grow.
I started with dry rock and bare bottom so my nuisance algae is not a surprise or much of a concern but it is out competing my chaeto. I am also using vibrant and Microbacter 7. I would imagine those are both bad for the algae so I decided to remove it. My LFS went out of business so now I just want to keep what I have alive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back