What is considered a small shrimp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keko21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2022
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
4,079
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading up on some species that are “reef safe with caution” because they may eat “small species of shrimp”. My question is what constitutes a small shrimp?

My game plan was to have some skunk cleaners and maybe a blood red fire shrimp, but also want to add a pixy/spotted hawkfish. (Also will hermits be safe?) Am i safe here?
 
I was reading up on some species that are “reef safe with caution” because they may eat “small species of shrimp”. My question is what constitutes a small shrimp?

My game plan was to have some skunk cleaners and maybe a blood red fire shrimp, but also want to add a pixy/spotted hawkfish. (Also will hermits be safe?) Am i safe here?

I have a blood/fire shrimp with a Flame Hawk and there's never been an issue. But, that same flame hawk wiped out several peppermint shrimp that were just a bit smaller than the fire shrimp! Peppermints and Cleaner Shrimp are similar sizes. If you like shrimp, probably best to stay away from hawk fish.
 
A small shrimp tends to be a .5-1” shrimp.
Cleaner Shrimp are often safe due to how crucial their role actually is to a reef. Also, shrimp with claws or similar (Stenopus & Alpheus species being the most common ones in the hobby) tend to be saved as they can defend themselves.
In my 4’ I have 2 4-5.5” Halichoeres wrasses, 1 3.5” CBB and 3 shrimp. Those three shrimp are;
- Lysmata amboinensis at 3 inch (Potentially hitting 4 inch)
- Stenopus scuttelatus at 1.5 inch (Possibly 2-2.5”)
- Alpheus bellulus at I believe 1 inch (Although I haven’t seen or heard him recently)
 
I think that in this context, "small shrimp" means anything peppermint sized or smaller. I'd be worried about the hawkfish eating any shrimp, hermits, or snails, though. I suggest a geometric pygmy perchlet instead.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new