What is considered "too aggressive" for clowns?

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats considered over aggressive for a clown? I noticed my male was in the corner as usual, then today i came back and saw my whole tank was out of order, My mushroom fell and was upside down, my CBS was out of the cave, my male is hidden in the cave, and my female is roaming as per usual. Whats odd is she constantly goes into the tank and fights him and goes back out. I am not sure if this is normal clownfish pairing behavour or if I should stop the domestic abuse now and seperate them. One is a long fin gladiator or long fin mocha, while the other is a blizzard ocelaris

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOH, 2 different clowns, whose tribes may have different submission ques. Failure to speak the same fin-language has been known to prevent bonding in clownfish. This "known" may be speculative, but observed often enough to be a urban legion at least.

They do not sound like they are going to work it out. Keep a close eye and be ready to rescue the loser before it is too late.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOH, 2 different clowns, whose tribes may have different submission ques. Failure to speak the same fin-language has been known to prevent bonding in clownfish. This "known" may be speculative, but observed often enough to be a urban legion at least.

They do not sound like they are going to work it out. Keep a close eye and be ready to rescue the loser before it is too late.
Yea, currently I was looking at someones pico reef set up but I think i might jump the gun and get it and then use some of the water from this tank to help jump start the establish process for the little guy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, currently I was looking at someones pico reef set up but I think i might jump the gun and get it and then use some of the water from this tank to help jump start the establish process for the little guy.
If you have a sump that can be better in an emergency than waiting for the fighting to end. SOrry they are not pairing up for you.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats considered over aggressive for a clown? I noticed my male was in the corner as usual, then today i came back and saw my whole tank was out of order, My mushroom fell and was upside down, my CBS was out of the cave, my male is hidden in the cave, and my female is roaming as per usual. Whats odd is she constantly goes into the tank and fights him and goes back out. I am not sure if this is normal clownfish pairing behavour or if I should stop the domestic abuse now and seperate them. One is a long fin gladiator or long fin mocha, while the other is a blizzard ocelaris
Pretty normal. She is making sure that he doesn't get too comfortable. With that said, I had a female from a pair of 6 years, and just completely cut him off from food. He didn't make it.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump that can be better in an emergency than waiting for the fighting to end. SOrry they are not pairing up for you.
I wish I had a sump, Im using a canister as this was my first tank lol. I wish I can go back in time and help myself save money and stress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back