What is going on with this coral?

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused as to what this coral is doing. When i took over my tank it was all brown and has started to grow and show colors.
1000002483.jpg

The brown has been peeling off to show some color underneath. Will it make a full recover? Does anyone know what kind of coral this is?

I am asking because I have a handful that are doing this.
1000002488.jpg

Does anyone know what that one is?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest to post your water parameters, and lighting and flow for more help, they do look like they are slowly dying by either stn/rtn or something.

Something has changed in the tank since you "took over", the corals are showing it. If you can give more details and history, folks will be able to offer more suggestions to avoid further loss.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest to post your water parameters, and lighting and flow for more help, they do look like they are slowly dying by either stn/rtn or something.

Something has changed in the tank since you "took over", the corals are showing it. If you can give more details and history, folks will be able to offer more suggestions to avoid further loss.
I'm out of town at the moment so I can't get all my notes.

1.025 salt
Alk 9.5
Cal 440
Mag 1325
Temp 78
PH 8.3 - 8.5
I have lighting with 4 xr30 pros
Par is approx 200 at this point (first photo) 350 par for the second photo(posted above)
Po is .1
Nitrates where 20 (if I remember correctly)
I have high flow in the tank. 2 mp60 and 4 mp40s

The thing that i find very confusing us that I have approx 25 peices like this where the brown seems to be coming off and colors are under. It's kind of like a shell over the coral. Once it goes away I start to mouths also. This is why I am so confused. This process has been going on for a couple of months.

I bought a full setup that was neglected and wanted to try my hand with "fixing" these peices before I buy a bunch of new.

1000002485.jpg

1000002486.jpg

Random coral pics from the same day

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torches are the only thing that I added. This is why they're doing well. Does cyanno only grow on coral? Do you see anything g wrong with the rocks. BTW I'm colorblind, red green sorry for the goofy questions
Cyanno will grow on any avaliable surface and is not harmful/not what is killing the coral

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you be able to turn down off the blue's and leave the white lights only, and then take a pic? Cannot see this "coating" you are mentioning in the pic.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back