What is going on with this coral?

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused as to what this coral is doing. When i took over my tank it was all brown and has started to grow and show colors.
1000002483.jpg

The brown has been peeling off to show some color underneath. Will it make a full recover? Does anyone know what kind of coral this is?

I am asking because I have a handful that are doing this.
1000002488.jpg

Does anyone know what that one is?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new pics in white light will help, the pics are a little too blue to see exactly, and do not want to give you false info and guesses.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If this is Cyanobacteria on your corals - a minimal sweep of your hand should remove it - I'm not talking about a tidal wave. Also - if Cyanobacteria - is it better after being in the dark overnight - and then worsens during the day?

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of these look in rough shape, bleached if not already dead. . .

I am not an expert on coral rescues, but if it were me I would start with water changes. . . many water changes trying to match salinity and temp as closely as possible not to cause any undue stress.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so whites only, cool and warm 100%

1000002533.jpg

1000002537.jpg
1000002534.jpg

1000002535.jpg

1000002536.jpg

1000002538.jpg

1000002539.jpg

1000002540.jpg

1000002541.jpg

Help please I think I'm killing them.

Current parameters
Alk 9.25
Cal 435
Mag 1330
Ph 8.45
Temp 78
I think they were already dying when you got them

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what is covering some of them is a redish brown calcarious algae. The polyps in those areas are gone/dead. I have that algae growing in a few places on my rocks. Not on my corals though. If the polyps are not alive other things will occupy the space. ie: algae etc. If there are parts of the coral that are still alive, then as it heals it may overtake the algae and regrow over old skeleton.
I am not saying that some of your corals are not salvageable but it may be a long road. Some are easier than others like the digitata or the spongode. It is easier to grow healthy corals than to save dying corals.
A good indicator is to take a UV blue flashlight and at night with the lights off, most corals that are alive will fluoresce on the dead parts will not. The ones that do you can separate the dead parts from the living.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what is covering some of them is a redish brown calcarious algae. The polyps in those areas are gone/dead. I have that algae growing in a few places on my rocks. Not on my corals though. If the polyps are not alive other things will occupy the space. ie: algae etc. If there are parts of the coral that are still alive, then as it heals it may overtake the algae and regrow over old skeleton.
I am not saying that some of your corals are not salvageable but it may be a long road. Some are easier than others like the digitata or the spongode. It is easier to grow healthy corals than to save dying corals.
A good indicator is to take a UV blue flashlight and at night with the lights off, most corals that are alive will fluoresce on the dead parts will not. The ones that do you can separate the dead parts from the living.
Thank you for the feedback. The algae direction is very likely as it kind of peels, I guess simular to coraline algae if was growing on the coral.

I just have been hesitant to buy new sps as I didn't know if I was ready because i have not fixed these. Maybe I am and should try a few new peices to see how it goes.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would definitely figure out what happened this go around before going after new pieces. I definitely would not start with a large volume of SPS frags until you have some success with a few frags. I would also look into your acclimation process as, depending on how long after adding them to the tank they died, this could be an issue.

Also, how old is the tank?

Inhabitants?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely figure out what happened this go around before going after new pieces. I definitely would not start with a large volume of SPS frags until you have some success with a few frags. I would also look into your acclimation process as, depending on how long after adding them to the tank they died, this could be an issue.
They all came with the tank and all had the "algae?" coating on them. About a month ago all parameters started to look good and then the coating started to peel and started to get growth at the tips.

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a dosing pump? Sps are sensitive to alk swings so manual dosing could cause RTN or STN. Is there any visible polyp extension on any of the pieces?

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They all came with the tank and all had the "algae?" coating on them. About a month ago all parameters started to look good and then the coating started to peel and started to get growth at the tips.
OHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah, if they looked like that when you got them I say this is not on you, they were probably dead or dying when you got them.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am confused as to what this coral is doing. When i took over my tank it was all brown and has started to grow and show colors.
1000002483.jpg

The brown has been peeling off to show some color underneath. Will it make a full recover? Does anyone know what kind of coral this is?

I am asking because I have a handful that are doing this.
1000002488.jpg

Does anyone know what that one is?
Does appear to be nicrosis. Often its as simple as flow or light and things overlooked. Often siphoning dead tissue and brown gel will reverse the process.
Some possible triggers of infection are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- Addition of new corals

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this last night. It was SAD but AMAZING! This was wonderful and helped me truly understand the coral health (very good tip for colorblind).

Thank you so much for this tip.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back