What is hanging off my Filefish's pelvic fin?

greenwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'm brand new to this forum so thank you in advance for all of your help and advice. About 2 weeks ago we added a Green Matted Filefish to our aquarium. He has a pebble-like ball attached to the end of his pelvic fin and we have no idea what it is, and whether it is good or bad. He had it when we got him but we thought at the time that it was just his feces. Now, 2 weeks later it's still there. I'm attaching a picture so you can get a better idea. Unfortunately this is the best shot I could get. Thank you!

Filefish.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just Lymphocystis (more info below). If it were a bacterial infection, it should have spread in 2 weeks time and the fish would have stopped eating.

Lymphocystis:

Symptoms - Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored cauliflower-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. Initially it may be small (looks like ich), and then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish Do I tag myself on "the user tag list" in order to be notified of posts to this forum? Seems you beat me to the punch every time. Not that it matters, as long as some one is helping.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Do I tag myself on "the user tag list" in order to be notified of posts to this forum? Seems you beat me to the punch every time. Not that it matters, as long as some one is helping.

This one was posted in the "Fish Discussion" forum; I just happened to see it. I'll ask revhtree how you & I can be immediately notified of new posts in this forum and the fish disease forum (if you like.) I still haven't figured that out yet. :eek:oh:

OP
OP
greenwave

greenwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your speedy response! If it is lymphocystis, would it affect our other fish (2 clowns and a 6-line wrasse), I mean is it contagious? With lymphocystis, wouldn't he have more growths/bumps? Or not necessarily? He only has one so far.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's oft debated whether or not Lympho is contagious. Over the years I've owned many fish with it and have never noticed an outbreak with the rest of the infected's tankmates. Sometimes it spreads; sometimes it stays confined to a localized area; sometimes it's just one nodule that may or may not grow in size.

Here is an excellent article on
Lymphocystis, from the Univ of Fla: FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back