Coris Wrasse fin injury

GoniswiththeWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Our yellow coris wrasse was fine earlier today when we got back from vacation until we put nori in the tank. Guessing that it was beat up in eating some of it because just noticed it drifting in circles and saw one of its fins was shredded and there are white scrapes on the same side making its swimming erratic. We moved it into an acclimation box and just fed and it went for and ate successfully. My question is should we be doing anything else to help it heal? Being a sand sleeper, should I put sand in the box? Not sure if it will be able to burrow given the left fin is half the length of the other.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

IMG_7249.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi

Our yellow coris wrasse was fine earlier today when we got back from vacation until we put nori in the tank. Guessing that it was beat up in eating some of it because just noticed it drifting in circles and saw one of its fins was shredded and there are white scrapes on the same side making its swimming erratic. We moved it into an acclimation box and just fed and it went for and ate successfully. My question is should we be doing anything else to help it heal? Being a sand sleeper, should I put sand in the box? Not sure if it will be able to burrow given the left fin is half the length of the other.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

IMG_7249.jpeg
Looks like an injury that has affected spine but can also stem from internal infection
How did fish look the last 24 hours?
A video may be more helpful with assessment
Does it swim normal or spiral?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, the fish looks terminally ill - my concern (and hope it does better) - is that usually, when a fish is sucked up to a powerhead - its because the fish itself was sick - not swimming strongly etc. I would carefully watch not only the 'injured' one - but all of the rest. Good luck - and keep everyone updated

OP
OP
GoniswiththeWind

GoniswiththeWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update that the wrasse seems to be doing well. It took a couple of days til it was able to burrow into the sand container I put in the acclimation box, but has been eating the whole time and has been swimming upright. The scrapes/discolored scales seem to be getting back to normal as well. Going to keep it separate from the rest of the tank for a bit to make sure it has time to adequately heal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back