What is happening to my hammer?

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else in tank is doing well - params where they should be and 2 hammers and a frogspawn right beside this guy all doing well.

Still comes out fine during the day, but right around 9pm every night he looks like this. My first instict is maybe a fish is eating the tops off these, but I only have gobies so not sure if they’re capable of this. Also maybe it’s coming off the skeleton? But some of these brown things look like they’re coming out of the tips.

Here he is at night

And another shot during the day earlier:

4D6D1628-97B3-4CEB-BA87-7E4ACEFD5EFD.jpeg

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can isolate it from the system I would do it now. It spreads and can do so quickly.
I don’t have a separate system - if I suspect brown jelly I’ll probably need to toss him. Are you thinking he’s a goner?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a separate system - if I suspect brown jelly I’ll probably need to toss him. Are you thinking he’s a goner?

I’ve never had a coral survive it. I didn’t have the tools needed to try and excise the infected heads/tissue. Before I recognized what it was, I tried sucking up the matter with a turkey baster. Mistake! It spread quickly and I lost four other vitals within days.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a coral survive it. I didn’t have the tools needed to try and excise the infected heads/tissue. Before I recognized what it was, I tried sucking up the matter with a turkey baster. Mistake! It spread quickly and I lost four other vitals within days.
Okay so I pulled him out into a breeder box - it is all green algae and its been spreading. I don’t see any brown jelly but I fear the jelly could be coming.

could this be a result of a fish biting heads off or do you think its something else?

Where would you go from here? I have a 20 gallon and no separate system so as much as it sucks I can’t risk one coral screwing the bunch, so I’ll defer to cutting losses over trying to treat unfortunately.

F306140F-D192-4694-A2CF-7584C68CFE98.jpeg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow. That’s interesting. I agree, unless this guy is resilient BJD is probably coming. Perhaps others can offer definitive advice since I’m now not sure about the algae and the view of the last picture.

Attachments

• 9F394D6B-D443-4D75-9B79-CC68C6AB3EFA.jpeg
    9F394D6B-D443-4D75-9B79-CC68C6AB3EFA.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 22

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this hammer? Tissue is lacking.. and the exposed tips of the skeleton are growing algae. Could be from losing tissue over time or from damage to the polyp from shipping or from something in the tank where the skeleton ridges are very sharp at the top. I don't see much tissue extending down the outside of the skeleton like it should in a healthy growing Euphyllia.

Pictures of the other hammers and frogspawn? And parameters where they should be is kinda vague..

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this hammer? Tissue is lacking.. and the exposed tips of the skeleton are growing algae. Could be from losing tissue over time or from damage to the polyp from shipping or from something in the tank where the skeleton ridges are very sharp at the top. I don't see much tissue extending down the outside of the skeleton like it should in a healthy growing Euphyllia.

Pictures of the other hammers and frogspawn? And parameters where they should be is kinda vague..
He had been in the tank for probably a good 7-8 months - I did take him out about a month or two back to scrape a vermatid snail off of his base. I’m not certain, but it’s possible I accidentally cut his outer tissue when cutting through the snail’s base. That is the only thing I can think might’ve caused this. I have 2 other hammers, a frogspawn and 2 torches all doing great, so I am super doubtful its the water.

I just got an ATI ICP test back yesterday and it was perfectly fine - I usually do them once a month or so.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back