What is on black tang?

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Recently all three of my black tangs caught marine velvet from my display tank. Quickly caught them and have been in copper about 16 days. All velvet is gone, but there are not some discolorations on them. I’ve read this can happen as a result of copper, but want to ensure this isn’t a secondary bacterial infection. TIA. Pictures posted on the thread.

They are currently in a 65 gallon with a smaller achilles tang, who also caught velvet. This one is separated because he’s the most aggressive.

IMG_6059.jpeg IMG_6060.jpeg IMG_6061.jpeg IMG_6062.jpeg IMG_6063.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see but are you referring to those white smudges? Could those be from fighting?

Velvet isn’t completely gonna be gone after just 16 days.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any fish had velvet, all should be quarantined in copper for 30 days to eradicate the disease. It’s hard to make out the smudges, but it could be either a stress coloration or secondary bacterial infection as a result of the velvet.

OP
OP
M

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see but are you referring to those white smudges? Could those be from fighting?

Velvet isn’t completely gonna be gone after just 16 days.
That’s very possible. He has escaped out of the bin a few times already.

That’s good to know. Is it possible that’s residual from velvet?

OP
OP
M

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any fish had velvet, all should be quarantined in copper for 30 days to eradicate the disease. It’s hard to make out the smudges, but it could be either a stress coloration or secondary bacterial infection as a result of the velvet.
That’s what I’m thinking too. It could be either. Although I’d rather treat for bacterial preemptively. Would you say kanaplex metroplex combo?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very possible. He has escaped out of the bin a few times already.

That’s good to know. Is it possible that’s residual from velvet?
I don’t think velvet is gone yet so it’s too early to talk about velvet residual which I’m unsure if such thing even exists.

Can you show the 65g QT setup? Maybe time to put in some egg crates

OP
OP
M

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think velvet is gone yet so it’s too early to talk about velvet residual which I’m unsure if such thing even exists.

Can you show the 65g QT setup? Maybe time to put in some egg crates
That’s a good point. Going to lessen my concern for the time being since it could still be from velvet.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You usually don’t see any white when velvet is affecting a fish - it’s mostly behavioral (fast breathing primarily).
You can try kanaplex, but I would focus on finishing copper first.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks like it’s more tall than long or wide, not an ideal QT to house many fish IME. Using egg crates to divide them will help, but if I were you, I would set up four 20L tanks to QT them separately. Today is Labor Day and Petco is running a $1.5/gallon sale.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Recently all three of my black tangs caught marine velvet from my display tank. Quickly caught them and have been in copper about 16 days. All velvet is gone, but there are not some discolorations on them. I’ve read this can happen as a result of copper, but want to ensure this isn’t a secondary bacterial infection. TIA. Pictures posted on the thread.

They are currently in a 65 gallon with a smaller achilles tang, who also caught velvet. This one is separated because he’s the most aggressive.

IMG_6059.jpeg IMG_6060.jpeg IMG_6061.jpeg IMG_6062.jpeg IMG_6063.jpeg
Please post pics under white light intensity for accurate assessment. Its impossible to diagnose a dark fish in dark lighting

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you and this appears to be scrape injury (possibly from the rock within the housing) and has developed what appears to be bacterial. Fish will have to be treated in a separate quarantine tank with Seachem Kanaplex. Some pics suggest possible skin irritation and even mucus cones but cannot tell as lighting is still somewhat dark ( need bright white- no blue)

OP
OP
M

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and this appears to be scrape injury (possibly from the rock within the housing) and has developed what appears to be bacterial. Fish will have to be treated in a separate quarantine tank with Seachem Kanaplex. Some pics suggest possible skin irritation and even mucus cones but cannot tell as lighting is still somewhat dark ( need bright white- no blue)
Kanaplex can’t be mixed with copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with black tangs is that they show every little skin issue so vividly....

Any protozoan infection runs the risk of secondary bacterial infection, as copper doesn't help with that aspect.

What copper product are you using? If coppersafe or copper power - as long as the water quality is being maintained, I would just watch things for now and finish up with the copper in 30 days.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
M

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with black tangs is that they show every little skin issue so vividly....

Any protozoan infection runs the risk of secondary bacterial infection, as copper doesn't help with that aspect.

What copper product are you using? If coppersafe or copper power - as long as the water quality is being maintained, I would just watch things for now and finish up with the copper in 30 days.

Jay
Yes that’s a good point.

I’m using copper power. Yes this tank has a full sump with filter pads and skimmer etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back