What is the Angel in your tank?

Dannyflips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 165G DT with a 45G sump. It’s a mixed coral system with three angels as well. I have a juvenile Emperor Angle, lemon pill angel and a swallowtail angel. I can’t have acans blastos or zoas but other than they leave everything else alone. I have had all of the going on 2 years now.

Attachments

• IMG_5381.jpeg
    IMG_5381.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5237.jpeg
    IMG_5237.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 35

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have seen many changes in the industry and the availability and non-availability of certain fish. One that has been available has been the group - Dwarf Angels. They come in many types and many Morphs. The big controversy with them often is if they will work in my nano tank or are reef safe or can they be mixed. This is a mystery for many as I have a Potters-flame and coral beauty for going on 4 years and the potters has his own hold. Yes Occasionally the flame and coral beauty squabble but overall, they cohabitate well together.
There are tiny such as Cherub angel and pepppermint angel, common such as Flame, coral beauty, golden angel, Eibli , Japanese, half black, rusty, Flameback and Larger such as lemon Peel, Bi-color, Heralds and others.
Many say they are reef safe while others state they raise havoc in their tanks and most are regarded as " Reef Safe Caution" Many reefers state to keep them feed well and they will not bother coral. Issue is- Many have a coral appetite and will exercise that right. The other suggestion is to keep them in pairs and they will not bother coral. A pair may slow down with eating coral but it's like saying having two siblings and they will not ask for candy.
Most of the common dwarf angels will attain a size of 3- 3.5" in length, Cherub at about 2 1/4" and larger like bi-color reaching 4-5 inches. One great thing that can be said - Rarely if ever do they attack other fish in the tank making them great additions. Again regarding coral, the best that can be said- many are willing to take the chance with them as I have, BUT . . .. . Be prepared to remove a certain coral if they start nibbling on it OR have a fish trap available in the event, they go haywire nibbling coral. Afterall, they are known grazers and grazing fish pick at anything that attract their interest.
They are also hardy fish making them easy to feed. As mentioned, they are grazers, so film algae is welcomed in their tank as is small plankton, Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, chopped krill, seaweed and some sponge and even clams. When purchased, MAKE SURE they are eating and I state eating, not nibbling which reduces possibility they will leave coral alone. If they are nibbling at LFS, they will likely have an interest in nibbling at coral. We cant predict a certain fish's' behavior but we can take certain precautions.

Do you have dwarf angel(s) ? If so, what type?
What has been your positive and negative experience with them?
Which is/are your favorites? (feel free to post pics)

potters6.jpg
660g progress pic61.jpg
I have yet to add to my aquarium and they will be plenty. I'd say the overriding thought for me is....Captive Bred...just take a look at what Biota is doing.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55 gal I have an African flameback, flame, lemon peel all get along pretty well. Only the lemon peel gave me trouble with trachy coral he doesn’t bother any others. Something about that trachy he would relentlessly attack him but would not touch a lobo.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my 55 gal I have an African flameback, flame, lemon peel all get along pretty well. Only the lemon peel gave me trouble with trachy coral he doesn’t bother any others. Something about that trachy he would relentlessly attack him but would not touch a lobo.
Yep - those lemon peels !!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only angel, Annabelle, she doesnt bother corals at all, but thats probably cause I give her clams on the half shell instead cause everyone knows they cant resist clams!

Attachments

• IMG_2377.png
    IMG_2377.png
    917.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2373.png
    IMG_2373.png
    621.9 KB · Views: 29

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my last set up. Never nipped a thing. Can’t seem to find one now
I was a bit worried about getting one because I'd heard all kinds of horror stories about their refusal to feed. Boo was quite small when I introduced her to the tank, and she was an enthusiastic feeder from day one. I've since read that the smaller ones have a better chance of survival. Dunno if this helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back