What is the Angel in your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have seen many changes in the industry and the availability and non-availability of certain fish. One that has been available has been the group - Dwarf Angels. They come in many types and many Morphs. The big controversy with them often is if they will work in my nano tank or are reef safe or can they be mixed. This is a mystery for many as I have a Potters-flame and coral beauty for going on 4 years and the potters has his own hold. Yes Occasionally the flame and coral beauty squabble but overall, they cohabitate well together.
There are tiny such as Cherub angel and pepppermint angel, common such as Flame, coral beauty, golden angel, Eibli , Japanese, half black, rusty, Flameback and Larger such as lemon Peel, Bi-color, Heralds and others.
Many say they are reef safe while others state they raise havoc in their tanks and most are regarded as " Reef Safe Caution" Many reefers state to keep them feed well and they will not bother coral. Issue is- Many have a coral appetite and will exercise that right. The other suggestion is to keep them in pairs and they will not bother coral. A pair may slow down with eating coral but it's like saying having two siblings and they will not ask for candy.
Most of the common dwarf angels will attain a size of 3- 3.5" in length, Cherub at about 2 1/4" and larger like bi-color reaching 4-5 inches. One great thing that can be said - Rarely if ever do they attack other fish in the tank making them great additions. Again regarding coral, the best that can be said- many are willing to take the chance with them as I have, BUT . . .. . Be prepared to remove a certain coral if they start nibbling on it OR have a fish trap available in the event, they go haywire nibbling coral. Afterall, they are known grazers and grazing fish pick at anything that attract their interest.
They are also hardy fish making them easy to feed. As mentioned, they are grazers, so film algae is welcomed in their tank as is small plankton, Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, chopped krill, seaweed and some sponge and even clams. When purchased, MAKE SURE they are eating and I state eating, not nibbling which reduces possibility they will leave coral alone. If they are nibbling at LFS, they will likely have an interest in nibbling at coral. We cant predict a certain fish's' behavior but we can take certain precautions.

Do you have dwarf angel(s) ? If so, what type?
What has been your positive and negative experience with them?
Which is/are your favorites? (feel free to post pics)

potters6.jpg
660g progress pic61.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have seen many changes in the industry and the availability and non-availability of certain fish. One that has been available has been the group - Dwarf Angels. They come in many types and many Morphs. The big controversy with them often is if they will work in my nano tank or are reef safe or can they be mixed. This is a mystery for many as I have a Potters-flame and coral beauty for going on 4 years and the potters has his own hold. Yes Occasionally the flame and coral beauty squabble but overall, they cohabitate well together.
There are tiny such as Cherub angel and pepppermint angel, common such as Flame, coral beauty, golden angel, Eibli , Japanese, half black, rusty, Flameback and Larger such as lemon Peel, Bi-color, Heralds and others.
Many say they are reef safe while others state they raise havoc in their tanks and most are regarded as " Reef Safe Caution" Many reefers state to keep them feed well and they will not bother coral. Issue is- Many have a coral appetite and will exercise that right. The other suggestion is to keep them in pairs and they will not bother coral. A pair may slow down with eating coral but it's like saying having two siblings and they will not ask for candy.
Most of the common dwarf angels will attain a size of 3- 3.5" in length, Cherub at about 2 1/4" and larger like bi-color reaching 4-5 inches. One great thing that can be said - Rarely if ever do they attack other fish in the tank making them great additions. Again regarding coral, the best that can be said- many are willing to take the chance with them as I have, BUT . . .. . Be prepared to remove a certain coral if they start nibbling on it OR have a fish trap available in the event, they go haywire nibbling coral. Afterall, they are known grazers and grazing fish pick at anything that attract their interest.
They are also hardy fish making them easy to feed. As mentioned, they are grazers, so film algae is welcomed in their tank as is small plankton, Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, chopped krill, seaweed and some sponge and even clams. When purchased, MAKE SURE they are eating and I state eating, not nibbling which reduces possibility they will leave coral alone. If they are nibbling at LFS, they will likely have an interest in nibbling at coral. We cant predict a certain fish's' behavior but we can take certain precautions.

potters6.jpg
660g progress pic61.jpg
I have three angels in my tank but only one is a true dwarf, the other two are just slow growing guys. Although they are sometimes labelled as ‘medium’ angels (more commonly ‘Large’ although I’ve seen some Dwarfs that got larger than most regals and majestics do). Knock on wood, none of them have touched my desired coral and instead starfish have taken out those coral. I’ve found the Dwarfs to be more issue filled than the larger species if I’m honest. I’m at 2/3 currently (I had a gorgeous CB in my previous tank who didn’t have issues, then I had a second in this tank but it didn’t even hit the tank before having an issue and I’m on my 3rd who is so far going well).

So here’s my true Dwarf - Centropyge bispinosa. The Tiger Tail Coral Beauty.
IMG_7009.jpeg

And my two ‘Medium’ angels, Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens and Pomacanthus navarchus.
IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7016.jpeg

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel that has been super well behaved, and totally reef safe for the last year or so:

IMG_8666.jpeg

A few months ago I added a juvenile Goldflake angel from biota. They squabble occasionally but get along fine. This one definitely nips at coral - mostly SPS, but doesn’t do any real damage:

IMG_8713.jpeg

I think most people way overreact to a little coral nibbling. If you have a lot of coral a little nibble here and there is not a big deal IMO, and not worth freaking out and immediately rehoming a fish, which is a reaction I see so often.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a majestic, flame, coral beauty, lemonpeel, and rusty angelfish in my 300 gallon reef tank. I've had all these angel fish except the rusty for about a year and had no issues with aggression or eating corals. I added the rusty about a month ago and none of my other angels cared and they are all doing fine. Id love to get a potters one day (when/if available) and a regal, but I don't want to push my luck.

That being said my sump is ready if anything changes and I need to get one out.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any dwarf angels, but I remember wanting Centropyge bispinosa (coral beauty) long before I ever started putting together my tank. My budget and available space at the time meant a 50g cube, which was too small for me to risk it, not withstanding the fish's happiness. I look at dwarf angels much like shrimp or crabs - omnivorous, and might start chomping if the inclination presents itself. In my next build (thinking IM Nuvo EXT 150 one day) would like either a flame or coral beauty, because at least in that size tank, any nipping would be spread out more. They're beautiful fish though.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels yes, Flame is my wife's favorite and why I have them. My favorite was a pair of Golden's I got back around 2015/16 from Divers Den for $300 shipped. After a couple years I lost one due to a stomach issue, I sold the other
fish 6-15-16 (2).JPG

Flame Harem still have them in my 180
FLAMES 2-23.jpg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Lemonpeel. My tank is still relatively new with no coral yet so I don't know how he'll behave when the time comes. Gets along well with the few other inhabitants. Come to think of it, him and my female clown cruise around the tank like they're best buds quite often.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t currently have one now, soon tho. My favorite is the Singapore Angel tho. I like the simplicity of the coloring and very passive
I have one. She's called Boo and has been with me for about a year. Lovely fish. As for coral nipping, she only goes for the expensive ones.

Seriously though, I think she just likes to graze. If there's a clip of nori available, she'll nip that instead.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. She's called Boo and has been with me for about a year. Lovely fish. As for coral nipping, she only goes for the expensive ones.

Seriously though, I think she just likes to graze. If there's a clip of nori available, she'll nip that instead.
I had one in my last set up. Never nipped a thing. Can’t seem to find one now

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

potters6.jpg
660g progress pic61.jpg
I have a couple dwarf angels in my large FOWLR, but would never trust them in my reef. I love my fleshy Acanthophyllias and Scolymias way too much!

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Lemonpeel. My tank is still relatively new with no coral yet so I don't know how he'll behave when the time comes. Gets along well with the few other inhabitants. Come to think of it, him and my female clown cruise around the tank like they're best buds quite often.
I had a Lemonpeel who was only in the tank 2 hours because he ate five corals.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I only have a very tiny female genicanthus melanospilos (swallow tail angel). But I plan to get more angels as they are my absolute favorite fish. I don't really care what corals they munch on, I don't really keep much LPS, the only time I'd care is if they decided to go ham on some of my acros.
Right now I am trying to choose my next angel, I really want a dwarf angel but I'm not sure which one I want and I'm always changing my mind. Ideally I'd have multiple, but in an 85 gallon I'm not sure that'd be possible. Right now I'm going back and forth between a captive bred Centropyge bispinosa (coral beauty), a captive bred Paracentropyge multifasciata (multi bar), or a captive bred Centropyge flavissima (lemon peel). Im also hoping to get a captive bred Pygoplites diacanthus (regal), or a Pomocanthus Navarchus (Majestic). I know a they would get too big for my 85. But they are very slow growing for an angel, and I plan to upgrade in the next few years anyways so it might be worth it. If it gets too big I know someone with thousands of gallons of fish only tanks.
Anyone have any ideas about what dwarf angel you guys would recommend? For me captive bred is ideal but I'm for whatever.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on th Dwarfs, I have 125 Flower, been up for decades. I can't get a dwarf to last more than a couple weeks. They acclamate well with their tank mates and all of them can be seen eating regularly. Then without warning and no obvious reason why will just quit eating and park themselves. This happened more than once and all were different species. That's way too many!
One large angle a 3 year old Koran, super mellow.:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back