What is the best setup for the back of an Innovative Marine All-In-One tank (14 gallon)?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a cross roads about what to do with my rear built in sump.

This is the back of an IM tank (14 gallon). The first slot either houses a long thick filter sock or the caddy and gets the main water flow. The second slot can house a caddy, protein skimmer, or any other make shift thing. Could I make the second slot a refugium?

Lastly, I'm open to hanging something on the back like a hang on refugium/skimmer. Do you think a skimmer is a waste of space if doing water changes for a tank this small? Also the fine tuning can get old..

Right now I feel like I might have a really inefficient setup. I have:

1. filter sock with chemipure elite inside (high flow)
2. caddy full of eheim substrat pro (low flow)

However, now that I have copepods I am flirting with the idea of some type of refugium to keep their numbers up. Is substrat pro in very low flow even doing anything?

210697_im-fusion-peninsula-14-c_large.jpg

618u5uVoBBL._AC_SS350_.jpg
s-l300.jpg
212091-innovativemarine-nuvoskimdc-proteinskimmer-fr_1.jpg

Last edited:

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I have never used a skimmer. I do 2 gallon water changes every week and everything has been fine. Of course, I don't use a powerhead either... so I'm quite the rebel.
My tank is a bit bigger, but I use a MightyJet (I upgraded to the larger one), RFG Nozzles, Caddy, ATO, and a Heater. That's it.

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Fusion 10 I have a caddy in the first chamber with floss on top, and carbon or Chemipure blue in the second slot. In my second chamber I have my heater and a K1 Nano protein skimmer. My third chamber has a Sicce 0.5 pump, the sensor for my ATO, and my pH and Temp probes.

I’m indifferent about the protein skimmer. It was working well, but all of a sudden just overflows no matter how low the water level is in the main body, and my water level of the tank hasn’t gone up, so I have to figure that out.

You could definitely convert the second chamber to a fuge, inTank sells a special basket just for that. You can also peel the black off the back of the tank to have a light for the fuge.

In terms of something HOB, I’m not sure with the dimensions of the tank and how the chambers are if that would be feasible.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back