What is the best size tank for a desk tank?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a fluval spec on my desk for 6 months or so with trops. Was a lovely addition to the office. I gifted it to one of my managers and he had it as a mini reef on his desk. Worked well with fully matured rock and sand to begin with. I went a little bigger…see my build thread for more info.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love the Fluval Evo as a starter tank.

That said, if I was going for another one I might try something like the Waterbox Cube or Peninsula 15, just because it has a filter sock rather than having to keep replacing the pads.

That said, the hood on the Evo is good if you want to make it a bit less obvious.

I think anything around 10 gal would be ideal. Big enough to have something in it, but small enough that it won’t take over (or break the desk!).

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That said, if I was going for another one I might try something like the Waterbox Cube or Peninsula 15, just because it has a filter sock rather than having to keep replacing the pads.

That said, the hood on the Evo is good if you want to make it a bit less obvious.

I think anything around 10 gal would be ideal. Big enough to have something in it, but small enough that it won’t take over (or break the desk!).
Ever thought of getting a filter sock adapter or something on the tank? I'm considering adding some stuff to mine to let me put batting that's easy to replace under the overflow or something.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I removed all the filter pads in my evo just bimonthly water changes with good results and growth. Just too much of a hassle with having to clean algae out of the filter pads...

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ever thought of getting a filter sock adapter or something on the tank? I'm considering adding some stuff to mine to let me put batting that's easy to replace under the overflow or something.

I’m using the inTank basket, which is great, but I still have to replace the filter pads quite frequently.

VLR3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what fish ya get? Love my evo! Unfortunately unable to view your video post some pics! Check out my build thread for pics of mine... I went a bit overboard on the office tank concept...
I got two clowns and a chalk basslet from @calikidcorals in concord CA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 26

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 gallon Biocube in my family room and a 90 in my office. I set up a 20L next to the 90 which got upgraded to a 40 Breeder. Next to my desk I have a 10 gallon on a metal stand.

I’m a big fan of regular tanks. The 10 gallon next to my desk looks great and is easy to maintain. Consider a simple stand to place the tank next to your desk and not on it.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say an AIO 20 gallon cube would be great for desk not to big nor to small just right.

VLR3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Looks like you need a clean up crew. I'd add 2 hermits with extra shells, and 4 snails to start.
Halfway through cycling I had to treat with Melafix because the damsel I got to cycle with had a bacteria so I need a few more water changes to dilute it all out before I can add snails. I have an emerald crab that’s doing fine so far.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back