what is the difference between Miyagi Tort Vs Cali Tort?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dochou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Cali
 

Attachments

  • 20230422_143125.jpg
    20230422_143125.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 117
My myagi is more blue than cali with much thicker branches.
Cali on top and myagi on bottom.
198B4909-624B-4F4A-98E5-D55DF208EFAA.jpeg

AF8B0567-13D4-4913-A33A-ACC0EB9BF2FC.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • F6AA1A7C-EAB2-424A-B5BD-4AA21EE94287.jpeg
    F6AA1A7C-EAB2-424A-B5BD-4AA21EE94287.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 395EDFF5-6EE6-4046-BBD1-421E83912E77.jpeg
    395EDFF5-6EE6-4046-BBD1-421E83912E77.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 150
Ime having cali and miyagi in various systems and even the same variety just in different spots in the same system a lot on these guys depends on light intensity for color and flow for growth shape. At this point I consider them pretty much interchangeable. Oregon of course is another matter but you will see cali and miyagi look different depending on the system. Not a satisfying answer but that I what I have experienced keeping both over the years.

​

 
I am sorry guys but cali tort I have never seen really look different in any system. The myagi looks different in certain systems because there are a number of different strains that have been mixed in with the nickname. Most likely don’t have any lineage. Even then the difference is normally in growth form. Colors for the myagi type are pretty close for all the variants.
 
I’m reviving this old thread lol.

The one in the middle is a Miyagi, the on of the left was supposed to be a Cali. Are they both Miyagi or is the one on the left indeed a Cali and they both just look super similar?

1731364365150.jpeg
 
I’m reviving this old thread lol.

The one in the middle is a Miyagi, the on of the left was supposed to be a Cali. Are they both Miyagi or is the one on the left indeed a Cali and they both just look super similar?

1731364365150.jpeg
To me it looks closer to a Miyagi. This is my Cali if it helps.

Screenshot_20240414_220156_Gallery.jpg
 
Reviving again! I had the original ORA Cali tort back in 2007. You can see it in the middle of the tank. Had very distinct growth structure, solid blue with no green at all. Maybe a little bit more indigo blue than an Oregon, and much faster growing, but a beautiful blue none the less. I had it under ATI T5s and it grew fast. I sold many frags and no one ever had any green in it, regardless of lighting. I believe any tort with green in it is not the original Cali tort. I moved in 2012 and sold all the colonies off. I have been searching for this coral for a long time since then, all the “cali torts” I see now are not this original coral. They have green with different growth structure.

The myagi tort is also different as it has a lot of green in the base. True Myagi and true Cali look nothing alike.



IMG_3701.jpeg
 
I also had an ORA Cali back in the early 2000’s as well. As frags they looked similar, but as they grew into colonies the differences in growth and color was seen. I wish I still had the pics, but back then I only had a photo bucket account which is long gone too…
 
My myagi is more blue and thicker. My cali grows very fast with more green. Both are great but prefer myagi.
My myagi is more blue than cali with much thicker branches.
Cali on top and myagi on bottom.
198B4909-624B-4F4A-98E5-D55DF208EFAA.jpeg

AF8B0567-13D4-4913-A33A-ACC0EB9BF2FC.jpeg

Yup, what they said. My Miyagi tort has much tighter branches and is a deeper darker blue. At the base there is some bright greens. My Cali tort is growing more stag like. The green is a lot more visible, and lighter than the brightness and density vs the Myagi. On my Cali tort the blues are lighter and maybe even purplish. I'll have to see if I can dig up some images.
 
The Myagi tort in the first images. A very deep dark blue for me. You can notice the bottom right where it is basing out there is a pronounced neon green. I have seen more of that on the branches before but it's not there currently (see the second pano image taken a while back). The Cali tort is the last two(small and large frags - but the mother colony has similar coloration just longer branches).

Neither of these coloration like anything like the Orgeon Tort (I have that too). It is a different blue all together. No purple hues at all, just a crazy blue coral with a different shade of blue on the body than on the coralites. Don't have images of that handy.

IMG_7621.jpg


Tort.jpg


IMG_7674.jpg


IMG_7676.jpg
 
This thread is a great example of the mess with cartoon names since the beginning... One thing we all need to understand is that some people will sell their frags to others with that attached name for more money. If one person lies, or doesn't know, and suggests a name, the mess starts. Then that one guy will make sure that name is attached when he sells his frags to others too... Each system is different in many ways and not only light and flow will determine different color and shape patterns. And the cherry on top... are they both real A. tortuosa according to Veron????

1784352000867.png


1784352024966.png

1784352059145.png

https://www.coralsoftheworld.org/species_factsheets/species_factsheet_summary/acropora-tortuosa/
It is important to remember that in most cases it's very hard to reach the very same results of growth and colors in closed systems to compare with some of the Acro colonies in the ocean. We all know that too.
The point is that today cartoon names are in it's majority attached to those corals mostly for money, not to preserve any legacy or lineage. Some of us predicted this mess in the beginning of the cartoon name journey. It gets worse with the injection of very similar wild and also aquacultured colonies in the market.
That's why some call it the "Name Game".
Nonetheless is very interesting to see some of the pictures in this thread.
GOTTA LOVE ACROS!!!
 
I was watching something from Australia the other day and the shops said is he took cuttings of a colony and placed it in the same tank, but different locations he would end up with 5 different looking corals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 18.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new