What is the difference in these two bacterial blooms?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has experienced two bacterial blooms in the last 3 months. The first was one with caused the water to appear as if a glass of milk has been dumped in the tank.

Maintaining my weekly water changes and running a UV light cleared the problem up within a week.

But then I had a second bloom where the tank began to turn green. Again, Water changes and UV light cleared up the problem, although, it took much longer (3weeks).

Now, I'm noticing the tank is again developing the appearance of having milk dumped in the tank. This is concerning since I've been running a UV Sterilizer in this tank since the green bloom. And I would think that running the UV 24/7 would have prevented this from happening.

So what is the difference between the two? Also, are these blooms anaerobic and would running an air stone help?

I'm trying to identify the cause.

FYI: It's only happening in one of my tanks, so I know it isn't related to salt mix or RODI.

Thank you.
Dom

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green one is an algae bloom. The other is a bacterial bloom. It's usually a bunch of heterotropbic bacteria going to town on something decaying. They are aerobic and can quickly depleat oxygen. The green bloom actually created oxygen in the day, but can lower it at night. Algae blooms of phytoplankton are not very common especially in older tanks or ones with lots of microbes likely because many things devour them.

I find bacterial blooms pop up in new tanks, tanks with mechanical filters not being removed or rinsed frequently, both, or tanks where something has died

If it were me, I would consider adding some copepods (not tigger pods).

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green one is an algae bloom. The other is a bacterial bloom. It's usually a bunch of heterotropbic bacteria going to town on something decaying. They are aerobic and can quickly depleat oxygen. The green bloom actually created oxygen in the day, but can lower it at night. Algae blooms of phytoplankton are not very common especially in older tanks or ones with lots of microbes likely because many things devour them.

I find bacterial blooms pop up in new tanks, tanks with mechanical filters not being removed or rinsed frequently, both, or tanks where something has died

If it were me, I would consider adding some copepods (not tigger pods).

Thank you! I appreciate the response.

OK... based on your response, I'd say that this is a bacterial bloom. Nothing has dies in the tank, although, the two clowns that call the tank home have recently laid their first clutch after 10 years together, which didn't go anywhere. Could the decaying eggs be what they are eating? It doesn't seem as though the problem lies there alone.

It is only 10 gallons, and I'm running an Aqueon 70 hang on filter, which, admittedly, I don't clean nearly as often as I should.

I thought anaerobic deleted O2.

This is a well established tank where Where Zoas blanket every square inch of live rock and a portion of the substrate.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do appreciate the link. I wish it had more info specific to my problem. Any other recommendations?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I appreciate the response.

OK... based on your response, I'd say that this is a bacterial bloom. Nothing has dies in the tank, although, the two clowns that call the tank home have recently laid their first clutch after 10 years together, which didn't go anywhere. Could the decaying eggs be what they are eating? It doesn't seem as though the problem lies there alone.

It is only 10 gallons, and I'm running an Aqueon 70 hang on filter, which, admittedly, I don't clean nearly as often as I should.

I thought anaerobic deleted O2.

This is a well established tank where Where Zoas blanket every square inch of live rock and a portion of the substrate.

Anaerobic means they don't use oxygen. Aerobic uses oxygen. I would consider rinsing the filter cartridge more. Just take it to the sink and rinse the crud ever other day or at least daily during a bloom. That is my guess as to where they are feeding from.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anaerobic means they don't use oxygen. Aerobic uses oxygen. I would consider rinsing the filter cartridge more. Just take it to the sink and rinse the crud ever other day or at least daily during a bloom. That is my guess as to where they are feeding from.
The more I think about it, the more I agree. I'll get on it and post an update. Thank you!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time -

Bingo!

IN addition to the UV light, I cleaned the sponge in the HOB filter. It's 24 hours later and the water clarity has improved by 80% and maybe more.

Thank you! You are officially on my list of people that know what they are talking about! ;)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time -

Bingo!

IN addition to the UV light, I cleaned the sponge in the HOB filter. It's 24 hours later and the water clarity has improved by 80% and maybe more.

Thank you! You are officially on my list of people that know what they are talking about! ;)

Haha. I try to help. I've worked at an LFS for years so basically I try to help people with what has worked at the stores and for customers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back