What is the ideal Copepod Hotel Material?

JonCherba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to create a chamber in my sump specifically for copepods to proliferate so that dosing them wont have to be as often. I plan on culturing them as well but I want them to have the best chance at producing and sustaining a decent population in my sump. I will be dosing phyto in the sump as well to further support the pods. I plan on culturing phyto as well to make it more cost effective.

I was thinking Marine Pure spheres in a 2" wide section of my bubble trap after the refugium for the pods, but some suggested that the pores were to small for the pods. So I was thinking some coarse filter mesh pad would be even better in the same location instead of the spheres.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to plan out my sump the best I can.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the look I keep them reproducing and give them a place to hide. I have a 1" sand bed in my tank and covered it with decorative snail shells. This gives the pods a place to hide so they don't get picked clean by the fish. It's a different look but has worked for me for 9 years. IF you want to breed them in a chamber I would suggest chaeto but remember the pumps are going to chew them up. My refugium overflows into my tank from above so the pods don't get destroyed.

OP
OP
J

JonCherba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So return pumps just blend up the pods? So then basically having pods in the sump is a waste of time, especially if it's below the tank...;Blackeye

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods have antennae so they can detect food. When they pass through a pump these small organs get ripped off due to flow. They need those to survive and may not recover.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods have antennae so they can detect food. When they pass through a pump these small organs get ripped off due to flow. They need those to survive and may not recover.
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I heard Marriott and Hyatt did a study.....wait, nevermind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back