What Is the Longest Time You Have Spent On a DIY Project.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up like 1/2 of our kitchen. We've been here since October last year and can't wait to get more done. First picture is recent, second picture is from the house listing before we moved in.

So far in the kitchen:
- Took out the cooktop, vent, dishwasher, microwave and oven.
- Moved over the base cabinets 48", added an upper cabinet.
- Put in a Wolf speed oven, wall oven, range and vent.
- Put in a Fisher and Paykel dual drawer dishwasher.
- Installed Calacatta Marble countertops and backsplash.

Still need to do in the kitchen:
- Replace island granite, sink and faucet.
- Add cabinets on backside of island (more storage / bigger island)
- Replace new cabinet doors with matching cabinet doors (on order)
- Finish trim.

Other stuff going on:
- Had a huge deck installed on the back of the house (need it to dry out a bit to finish stain on wood pieces, most is composite decking).
- Installed three windows in the upstairs media room to turn into my office, has a nice view, sad they didn't have windows.
- Replaced all downstairs light fixtures, need to get to upstairs next.
- Bought matching wood to replace all carpeted areas, need to get to that.

Sure there is other stuff... we probably should have waited a bit more after just having twin girls in November... but we're pretty used to remodeling. Did most ourselves minus the countertops, deck, moving the range and putting the windows in.

kitchen.jpg kitchen2.jpg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up like 1/2 of our kitchen. We've been here since October last year and can't wait to get more done. First picture is recent, second picture is from the house listing before we moved in.

So far in the kitchen:
- Took out the cooktop, vent, dishwasher, microwave and oven.
- Moved over the base cabinets 48", added an upper cabinet.
- Put in a Wolf speed oven, wall oven, range and vent.
- Put in a Fisher and Paykel dual drawer dishwasher.
- Installed Calacatta Marble countertops and backsplash.

Still need to do in the kitchen:
- Replace island granite, sink and faucet.
- Add cabinets on backside of island (more storage / bigger island)
- Replace new cabinet doors with matching cabinet doors (on order)
- Finish trim.

Other stuff going on:
- Had a huge deck installed on the back of the house (need it to dry out a bit to finish stain on wood pieces, most is composite decking).
- Installed three windows in the upstairs media room to turn into my office, has a nice view, sad they didn't have windows.
- Replaced all downstairs light fixtures, need to get to upstairs next.
- Bought matching wood to replace all carpeted areas, need to get to that.

Sure there is other stuff... we probably should have waited a bit more after just having twin girls in November... but we're pretty used to remodeling. Did most ourselves minus the countertops, deck, moving the range and putting the windows in.

kitchen.jpg kitchen2.jpg
Wow, nice work with the kitchen!! I couldn't imagine doing a lot of that stuff by myself haha

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice work with the kitchen!! I couldn't imagine doing a lot of that stuff by myself haha

Have a lot of plans for the house... we just got done renovating a house from 1915, basically from the floor supports to the roof. So we are having a hard time with builder spec stuff...

Most things are pretty easy when you have a good plan and the right tools.

We have done tiling before, but this tile was pretty $$$ and very delicate, so we had hired somebody to do it. He flaked out and we had the guys coming to convert the range from Gas to LP and put it in a few days later.

So we broke out our trusty 15 year old $60 wet tile saw and got to work. It was a bit frustrating, but I feel like it came out really nice. Probably better than the person we were going to hire, since it was our house and we cared lol

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have a lot of plans for the house... we just got done renovating a house from 1915, basically from the floor supports to the roof. So we are having a hard time with builder spec stuff...

Most things are pretty easy when you have a good plan and the right tools.

We have done tiling before, but this tile was pretty $$$ and very delicate, so we had hired somebody to do it. He flaked out and we had the guys coming to convert the range from Gas to LP and put it in a few days later.

So we broke out our trusty 15 year old $60 wet tile saw and got to work. It was a bit frustrating, but I feel like it came out really nice. Probably better than the person we were going to hire, since it was our house and we cared lol
Not to mention, you get to see the accomplishment of your work, haha. Neat that you got to renovate a house from 1915 though! Bout the only thing I have done was help my father 5ish years ago build a back deck for their house. Took a couple of weeks but was rewarding to get it done!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, you get to see the accomplishment of your work, haha. Neat that you got to renovate a house from 1915 though! Bout the only thing I have done was help my father 5ish years ago build a back deck for their house. Took a couple of weeks but was rewarding to get it done!

We started working on our first house in 2007/8. Did a lot of cosmetic things and ended up moving cross country right as we finished it.

We started making a bit more money then and thought we were rich and didn't really touch a house for probably the next 10 years. When we bought the 1915 house we were going to make it a short term rental and grossly under estimated what it would cost to reno. We ended up moving into it and then also renovating a building from the late 1800s in the town square of the small town the house was in just west of Austin. Also during that time we renovated a flip and investment house.

Now we've moved back to the Austin area to a home built in 2015. All the stuff here seems like a breeze.

Taking off 2 layers of carpet, then two layers of linoleum and sitting on the floor for days with a wall paper steamer getting 60 year old glue off of original hardwood floors makes little projects sure seem easy.

Back in the day painting a wall would have given me pause lol

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished building a tank the other day out of leftover acrylic. It is 48"×30"×25" just to use up the material with the least amount of waste. Now it is sitting on the floor in my house near a freshwater Landen rimless I bought over 5 years ago. I still have a 22 Aquamaxx, 64 Aquamaxx, and an 60p ADA in the shop. This does not include a leftover 60 gallon acrylic that is new but over 20 years old and a couple more acrylic tanks on a pallet above the office. I guess I just like the look of shiny new empty tanks! Not sure if I should finish any of them since we are going to Italy later in the year. Before the hold up was an office remodel followed by a house remodel and complete deck tear out and rebuild. Maybe I should just sell it all and give up lol!
Don't feel too bad, I have a thing for collecting equipment for future builds when I can pick it up dirt cheap. Recently I don't NEED 4 x 52 AI hydra but for $150 I'll take em...now they're in storage.i also have a bunch of power heads and all kinds of stuff. Dosers, UVs, etc. You can pick up all kinds of stuff for next to nothing on fb marketplace if you're patient. That's also how I ended up with a 32 biocube that just needed a powersupply. Thankfully I also have a very understanding wife.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have several DIY projects going, that never seem to end. It’s an ADHD thing, I’m told.

I just get hyper focused on something for a short period then something else and just keep tinkering away.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back