What is the Luckiest Thing That has Happened to your Reef Tank

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's St Patrick's Day today, so I thought it would be fun asking this question. Maybe you got lucky on a price of livestock for your tank, or maybe you even got something for free that should have been expensive. Maybe you lucked out and got rid of a nasty bacteria outbreak in your tank, maybe it's just you are thankful that you can even have a tank. Curious to see what everyone says!
My acropora tank survived 6 weeks without me (due to a surgery rehab) with the help of my girlfriend who is not a fish/corral person.

Staci.Pinck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a GSP for our first coral at the lfs (yeah, typical, I know lol) and it was on a chunk of rock instead of a frag plug. We put it in the first reef tank and then started a second reef tank (one for each of us) a month later. When we changed the lights on the first tank, so second tank could have the originals, the GSP started pulling in and acting funny. We moved it to the second tank thinking it preferred that lighting. A few days later I noticed some longer polyps that were funny colored. Turns out it was Aiptasia (which we saw in some of the lfs tanks, but not the frag tank) and it was in both tanks. In the first tank, we added a few berghia to work on the issue, but in the second tank, I flipped a coin and decided on a peppermint shrimp instead. He cleared the those the first night and no more infestation for now. I know there's a 50/50 shot with the peppermints and glad I risked it.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right around the beginning of this year, one of my 150g tanks had a spawning event. All shrimp, including the Sexy shrimp, had babies. My clowns had their first clutch of eggs, my Springeri damsels & Blue Neon gobies also had their first clutches. But the most exciting part was finding all of the tiny baby rock flower anemones in the tank. Not sure what kind of celestial magic happened when the new year came but everyone was getting busy in my tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back