What are some ways you can prep your tank for incoming disasters

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I saw that there was an earthquake that happened in the New York area, not to mention power outages that happened due to storms a few weeks ago. So it got me wondering, how do we even prepare for random events like this when it comes to our reef tanks? That is why I am asking, what are some steps you take to prepare your tank for a potential disaster that might happen (This could include storms, earthquakes, fires or maybe a tank beginning to leak)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable whole home generator and the supplies and equipment to make many gallons of saltwater if necessary. At least 1 back up heater at all times.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I saw that there was an earthquake that happened in the New York area, not to mention power outages that happened due to storms a few weeks ago. So it got me wondering, how do we even prepare for random events like this when it comes to our reef tanks? That is why I am asking, what are some steps you take to prepare your tank for a potential disaster that might happen (This could include storms, earthquakes, fires or maybe a tank beginning to leak)
A lot of things and thoughts like this have me considering a whole home generator. They are expensive, but well worth the money. Of course this is not JUST for the tank my home will benefit as well. So it would be a win-win.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things and thoughts like this have me considering a whole home generator. They are expensive, but well worth the money. Of course this is not JUST for the tank my home will benefit as well. So it would be a win-win.
I paid about $800 for my portable generator from harbor freight. Not too bad considering the alternatives. Takes care of my whole house.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
definitely plan a secondary power source for power outages. beyond that maybe having spare equipment (1 extra of everything but just cheap versions or used)

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid about $800 for my portable generator from harbor freight. Not too bad considering the alternatives. Takes care of my whole house.
Not bad at all, I already have a portable one. I am thinking whole home one because sometimes I travel, and if power goes out, and I have no one near by that can and will run over, a whole home generator can auto kick in when power goes out. but they are VERY expensive. I keep telling myself, it's not REALLY for the tank, it's for us;)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a genny is a must given the amount of money we put into our tanks. I have one for the basics for my house but didn’t want to overload it with the tank so bought one just for the tank. $450 Wen off Amazon. Inverter type so won’t fry electronics. Runs like 7 hours on a gallon of gas. Runs my 2 300w heaters, return pump, skimmer and doser. Saved me several times already.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely plan a secondary power source for power outages. beyond that maybe having spare equipment (1 extra of everything but just cheap versions or used)
I have a some spare equipment just incase something happens, I really should consider a generator though haha

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power, buckets, heat, and pumps.

I looked at standbys and found that I could get a new portable yearly for the price of a standby within the same life span. I have a dual fuel portable and a 500 gallon propane tank, hard wired outlet (to code) and propane plumbed, so that it can back feed into the panel and I can manage the load but still run everything in the house except dryer and/or A/C.

20240408_073627.jpg
20240408_074026.jpg
20240408_074033.jpg
20240408_074248.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back