What is the most recommend controller to begin with?

Blaese Hartley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have got to a stage with my tank that I feel my monitoring ,testing and dosing isn’t consistent enough and believe that a controler and dosing unit it the next step for me to progress and add more corals with confidence.
I have been looking into controllers available and I’m now lost. I’m looking for something simple to start with but with the capability to add too as I go, also one that is compatible with a good range of equipment I.e lighting, pumps and wave makers. I live in the uk so a brand that is readily available in the uk is a must.
I would love to hear people’s views and experiences.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone with the Apex myself but there are lots of others out there who love their GHLs. These are the two most sophisticated systems with extensibility. And the most expensive. There is ReefPI if you want to roll your own. For more basic needs the Seneye units are cheaper and their PAR meter has good reviews but they are not expandable and can’t control other components. Another option is smart plugs such as the Kasa ones and Alexa/Google Home/Apple Homepod integration.

If you go down the Apex path you’ll be in the same boat as me and unable to use the EB8 and power monitoring, so will be limited to the EB6. Apart from that we can get everything they can in the US. One think I particularly like with the Apex is the Alexa integration. My wife thinks being able to say ‘Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to feed the fish’ is the best thing since sliced bread.

Good luck!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have got to a stage with my tank that I feel my monitoring ,testing and dosing isn’t consistent enough and believe that a controler and dosing unit it the next step for me to progress and add more corals with confidence.
I have been looking into controllers available and I’m now lost. I’m looking for something simple to start with but with the capability to add too as I go, also one that is compatible with a good range of equipment I.e lighting, pumps and wave makers. I live in the uk so a brand that is readily available in the uk is a must.
I would love to hear people’s views and experiences.

If I was in the UK I would look at Aquatronica and GHL as the main companies. They both have 220V UK Power bars and they both have all the modules you would need. I know Aquatronica has several UK dealers, I am pretty sure GHL also has dealers.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back