What is the next challenge after microbiome?

Dipper Pines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

(I would like to apologize for my English, as it is not my native language, but I tried very hard that the following could be readable)

We are increasingly thinking about the healthy habitat of our fish and corals. the more we think about it, the more we come to understand the impact on the environment of microorganisms, like bacterias, archeas, pods et.

in light of the latest video by brs, this idea has been well developed and on the forum you can find several threads discussing this video and this issue in general.

but I would like to look back and look forward a little

1 step
we wanted to keep the fish in aquariums, but they died within a few weeks. we understood the effect of ammonia and how to solve this problem by establishing a nitrogen cycle and subsequent nutrient export system. yahoo - now we can keep fish in our aquariums!

2 step. we wanted to have sps corals in our tanks, but they didn't grow and died quickly. We understood the importance of kh, calcium and light for their life. yahoo - now we can admire beautiful fish and beautiful corals in our aquariums!

3 step.
we thought we knew everything about keeping fish and any kind of corals in our tanks, but over time we get to the ugly stage of getting outbreaks of algae, cyano, dino and more. then we thought about the microbiome and its important role in creating a healthy environment in the long term. now we have much more understanding on this issue and I believe in the near future this issue will be fully resolved as the first two points and we will again think that we know everything.

4 step. what's next? What do you think are the next challenges we will face in order to successfully keeping our home reefs and what are the prospects for solving them?

Good luck to all of us! ;)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe we near step 3 yet, it’s absolutely fine to say that microbial diversity is good although we not even scratch the surface on that. It’s not as simple as just trow a bunch of live rock from the ocean and boom we got diversity now. Folks still have to understand like many other organisms in our systems they need different nutrients to stay alive and multiply without that diversity will never be achieved for most.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in light of the latest video by brs, this idea has been well developed and on the forum you can find several threads discussing this video and this issue in general.

Ryan's presentation was helpful to newer/younger reefers as it highlights what has been known in reef keeping since the late 70's in Europe (look up 'Berlin System' methodology) and later in the 80's elsewhere. The old saying, "What is old is new again" seems appropriate :).

but I would like to look back and look forward a little

3 step.
we thought we knew everything about keeping fish and any kind of corals in our tanks, but over time we get to the ugly stage of getting outbreaks of algae, cyano, dino and more. then we thought about the microbiome and its important role in creating a healthy environment in the long term. now we have much more understanding on this issue and I believe in the near future this issue will be fully resolved as the first two points and we will again think that we know everything.

New aquariums go through 'ugly stages' (some much more obvious than others) due to the succession of different kinds of organisms that find particular conditions advantageous (typically due to lack of, or not sufficient numbers of, predators). Having a diverse population of reef associated micro and macro organisms as soon as possible is the key to establishing a stable and balanced environment as soon as possible. Once a stable system is established, in a perfect world one shouldn't see any major disruptions. Having said that, we often do see system disruptions due to equipment malfunctions, extreme environmental events, etc., but mostly due to our own human nature to meddle.

4 step. what's next? What do you think are the next challenges we will face in order to successfully keeping our home reefs and what are the prospects for solving them?

Good luck to all of us! ;)

Since we already know how, and many have indeed kept reef aquarium successfully for a decade or even much longer, what do you believe are the 'major challenges' and how would you 'solve them'?

Some of the major challenges that I see:

1. The successful long-term keeping and reproduction of small polyped NPS (non-photosynthetic) corals, tunicates, bryozoans, etc.).

2. The ability to maintain a wider variety of natural reef rock/sand associated life over long periods of time (our aquariums tend to loose this biodiversity over time).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back