What is the pale spot on my Clown tang?

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I tried my best to get a good video of the patches on my clown tang. It moves so fast that it was hard to get a clear shot.

I'm a bit worried about it but it seems to be acting normal.

It was because of this pale patch on its head that caused me to freak out and put all my fish into quarantine.
Despite the pale scar like patches on its head , the clown tang actually looks better in this video than it did when I first noticed the patches.
It was scratching and its fins were badly torn... now it and it's tank mates have been in a copper qt for a little over a week now and it's fins have since grown back but the patches are still there..
You can KIND of see the patch on its left side in the video but watch the video toward the end... it's right side has a larger more obvious spot.
I'm not sure what to do? Is it forever scared from either ich or velvet? Is it a sign of a different disease?

I'm not sure if the patches are a health issue or not. He seems to eat a lot (more so than my other fish) so im not really sure what to think...

I absolutely adore this tang so any tips and info would be greatly appreciated! Screenshot_20230701_201044_TikTok.jpg

Attachments

• 0ff751bf801da11d35f50a4552eac122.mp4
    20.3 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm sorry I tried my best to get a good video of the patches on my clown tang. It moves so fast that it was hard to get a clear shot.

I'm a bit worried about it but it seems to be acting normal.

It was because of this pale patch on its head that caused me to freak out and put all my fish into quarantine.
Despite the pale scar like patches on its head , the clown tang actually looks better in this video than it did when I first noticed the patches.
It was scratching and its fins were badly torn... now it and it's tank mates have been in a copper qt for a little over a week now and it's fins have since grown back but the patches are still there..
You can KIND of see the patch on its left side in the video but watch the video toward the end... it's right side has a larger more obvious spot.
I'm not sure what to do? Is it forever scared from either ich or velvet? Is it a sign of a different disease?

I'm not sure if the patches are a health issue or not. He seems to eat a lot (more so than my other fish) so im not really sure what to think...

I absolutely adore this tang so any tips and info would be greatly appreciated! Screenshot_20230701_201044_TikTok.jpg
Because you provided a lengthy video, I was able to go by frames and it appears to be an area of injury which may have become infected. Not sure what size the tank the fish are in but it seems somewhat crowded and with life-rock in there may be contributor to injury.
Not sure if tank is medicated , but if copper, you can safely add seachem Kanaplex which will help this heal. Beautiful fish these are no doubt. I have a 5" and its colors stand out

clown5.jpg

OP
OP
Kuhn

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you provided a lengthy video, I was able to go by frames and it appears to be an area of injury which may have become infected. Not sure what size the tank the fish are in but it seems somewhat crowded and with life-rock in there may be contributor to injury.
Not sure if tank is medicated , but if copper, you can safely add seachem Kanaplex which will help this heal. Beautiful fish these are no doubt. I have a 5" and its colors stand out

clown5.jpg
Right now they are in a qt. Which is why it appears to be a little crowded. I can remove the liverock if needed.
I did notice my clown tang moves super fast and erratically and I don't know if that has to do with why he's covered in injuries OR if he had ich and thus kept scratching and caused the injuries that way.

Either way, they are all being medicated in that tank you see in the video but otherwise their main home is a 210 gallon but for obvious reasons they were taken out to be medicated.

Thank you for the insite!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Right now they are in a qt. Which is why it appears to be a little crowded. I can remove the liverock if needed.
I did notice my clown tang moves super fast and erratically and I don't know if that has to do with why he's covered in injuries OR if he had ich and thus kept scratching and caused the injuries that way.

Either way, they are all being medicated in that tank you see in the video but otherwise their main home is a 210 gallon but for obvious reasons they were taken out to be medicated.

Thank you for the insite!
Yes- they spook easily and dart off like a rabbit and may have hit its head on rocks

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the help!
I just ordered some Kanaplex in hopes that it will help heal him up!
Thank you!
One of my favorite Tangs. They can be easily 'spoked.' More than likely this Tang wants a long tank in which to swim. So being cramped in the QT may be an added stress to it.

I would have thought that the QT should not have rock or substrate, speaking in generalities.

Besides using an antibiotic help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Trough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

OP
OP
Kuhn

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite Tangs. They can be easily 'spoked.' More than likely this Tang wants a long tank in which to swim. So being cramped in the QT may be an added stress to it.

I would have thought that the QT should not have rock or substrate, speaking in generalities.

Besides using an antibiotic help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Trough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.
I mostly added the rock so that any pods I dosed in it would hide in the rock because I have 2 mandarins that need to be fed. But if the rock is doing more harm than good then I may just take them out

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly added the rock so that any pods I dosed in it would hide in the rock because I have 2 mandarins that need to be fed. But if the rock is doing more harm than good then I may just take them out
It's not so much as it being 'bad' as being a problem if chemical or medicinal treatment is necessary for the fish in the QT. Probably a better work-around would be to use a pod hotel. You can DIY too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back