What is this anemone species?

  • Thread starter Thread starter laezur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

laezur

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2022
Messages
927
Reaction score
595
Location
Manchester
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya!
Just picked this anemone up from the LFS and they had it labelled as a “Purple, white tip anemone” just wondering if that’s correct as I got it for quite a bargain considering the size of it.

Just want to be sure so I can provide the right level of care based on the species.

Any tips from those who know what species it is, also helpful!
22A696B0-6A6C-42C4-86B0-2CC4F5F58503.jpeg
 
long tentacle anemone
 
This is what I was hoping, and Google seems to agree. Is there a specific picture I can take to make it easier?
Take pictures of the foot and the edge underneath the tentacles to be sure, but it seems like it might be ritteri or crispa.
 
Take pictures of the foot and the edge underneath the tentacles to be sure, but it seems like it might be ritteri or crispa.
This really is the best I can get with it’s current position haha. It’s foot is very large, and underneath the tentacles is a skin like texture that folds and moves like a skirt
423FC7A9-FC02-4CA4-93EA-714F72668AE5.jpeg
 
I'll be the one...I took the blue pill. You shouldn't have purchased it without knowing about it first.
 
If your camera/phone has a "pro" mode or similar you should be able to adjust the white balance for more representative colours.
 
Turn off the blues. We need closeup pics of the oral disc, under the oral disc, foot, and tentacles. If it’s a mag, they usually have visible verracue under the oral disc. They typically have some tentacles that y as well. See pics for reference
AF52DA9E-779D-43CA-BB75-352631D7D076.jpeg
9CE670CD-919A-45ED-B349-8C961592EA65.jpeg
 
Turn off the blues. We need closeup pics of the oral disc, under the oral disc, foot, and tentacles. If it’s a mag, they usually have visible verracue under the oral disc. They typically have some tentacles that y as well. See pics for reference
AF52DA9E-779D-43CA-BB75-352631D7D076.jpeg
9CE670CD-919A-45ED-B349-8C961592EA65.jpeg

Turn off the blues. We need closeup pics of the oral disc, under the oral disc, foot, and tentacles. If it’s a mag, they usually have visible verracue under the oral disc. They typically have some tentacles that y as well. See pics for reference
AF52DA9E-779D-43CA-BB75-352631D7D076.jpeg
9CE670CD-919A-45ED-B349-8C961592EA65.jpeg
Will take a picture here shortly, I’ve just introduced it to the tank and don’t want to stress it too much. Firmly holding on to a rock right now, outside of colouration it’s looks almost identical to the one in the picture. Definitely multiple pronounced Y shape tentacles. Can’t see it’s mouth as of yet
 
Update: It’s now hosting my clownfish. I was gobsmacked when I walked in and saw this. What a miracle of nature.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new