What is this black box in my tank

haley20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this tank online it was so cheap I couldn’t pass it up 180 gallons for 100$ however I have no idea what this black box in my tank is for. There is no holes in the bottom of the tank, I have my filter running over top of it so I can get it going but I want to use it how it’s supposed to be. Please help

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haley20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this tank online it was so cheap I couldn’t pass it up 180 gallons for 100$ however I have no idea what this black box in my tank is for. There is no holes in the bottom of the tank, I have my filter running over top of it so I can get it going but I want to use it how it’s supposed to be. Please help
I posted a picture below

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpeg
    IMG_9695.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted a picture below
It’s your overflow box where filtration takes place often housing media and for servicing tank
You tube explains it well

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haley20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R! The black box looks a little strange to me. It almost looks like a self-built AIO section. Does it have overflow slots to fill it? It looks dry in your photo.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
I’ve noticed when I do fill it to high it flows into the boxes so I’m assuming, and it is dry at the moment I haven’t filled it all the way due to I don’t want water just sitting and it cause issues

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed when I do fill it to high it flows into the boxes so I’m assuming, and it is dry at the moment I haven’t filled it all the way due to I don’t want water just sitting and it cause issues
Then it is an AIO (All In One) section. It is basically a sump that is in the tank instead of plumbed separately. It is where you put your filtration media instead of using a HOB system or canister or external sump. You will need a return pump in the last section of the chambers that should have a hole back into the tank, hopefully with an already installed bulkhead. Once the tank is full enough, water will start to flow into the first chamber of the AIO, it usually has a series of slots to take in the water but keep fish out. That is usually where you would place you initial filtration media (like filter pads, etc.) the water will then go into the other chambers and eventually, when the tank is nearly full, into the return chamber (the one with the pipe back into the tank). The pump then pumps the water back into the tank setting up a recirculating system. It is actually quite easy but a little different from HOB or over the back type systems. Look for information online for AIOs and you will get everything you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched so many videos but they all have a hole at the bottom of the tank this does not
The hole is for an external sump. Your tank uses an internal sump. Look in the AIO build threads on R2R and you will see lots of information on the type of tank you have, in fact my tank is an AIO. If you click on my build thread badge, a lot of my earlier posts show the workings of an AIO section although it isn't designed to teach, at least you can see how one is set up.

Start a build thread. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haley20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9513.jpeg
    IMG_9513.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9512.jpeg
    IMG_9512.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a peninsula tank with an all in one filter on the end. When you do fill the tank with water, it will flow into the black section through slots at the top, then it will move across the black box where your heater and filtration media live, and then the last compartment should have a hole at the top with a nozzle for water to be returned into the tank display

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haley20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a peninsula tank with an all in one filter on the end. When you do fill the tank with water, it will flow into the black section through slots at the top, then it will move across the black box where your heater and filtration media live, and then the last compartment should have a hole at the top with a nozzle for water to be returned into the tank display
No hole just those slots

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back