What is this blob?

Mbossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came in on some feather caulerpa. Can anyone id this blob? It is very small but moves around the tank.
20230915_145850.jpg
received_3580267702258396.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mbossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think it's a brittle star that has had a very bad day. By the way it's moving in the video I got tonight it no l longer looks like it has symmetrical sides.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think it's a brittle star that has had a very bad day. By the way it's moving in the video I got tonight it no l longer looks like it has symmetrical sides.

Do you mean Asterina? That definitely not a brittle star. Doesn't resemble any asterina I've ever seen either...

Hopefully @ISpeakForTheSeas will have a better idea.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's neat. Looks like a Frankenstein project of a sea pansy crossed with sea cucumber.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok now that it's in motion I'm pretty certain that is an arm from an asterina. They are able to reproduce asexually by splitting off. And from the looks of it, it's already regenerating a new body.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean Asterina? That definitely not a brittle star. Doesn't resemble any asterina I've ever seen either...

Hopefully @ISpeakForTheSeas will have a better idea.
Honestly, I'm inclined to think it's an Aquilonastra ("Asterina") species too, though I don't think it'll be possible to tell which one until it's regrown some more.

It's definitely a very small starfish (Asteroid) - you can see the tube feet in the video there at the tip of that leg by the bottom/left side of the video - and it's clearly regenerating into a new starfish; so, while it's possible that it's another kind of tiny, fissiparous starfish, my guess would be Aquilonastra at this point.

OP
OP
M

Mbossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was just really hoping it was a good guy. I guess I'd better pluck him out before he makes a million more. Thanks everyone!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back