Weird purple circle w mouth and orange filaments

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a good sized chunk of a chalice that had overgrown a rock with zoas. Once off I noticed this really weird sight. Looks like purple blob that has a deep hole in it and orange filament running through it and don’t know what it is ?!

IMG_4503.jpeg IMG_4504.jpeg IMG_4508.jpeg IMG_4506.jpeg IMG_4501.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but my best guess is that it's some kind of sponge. If it is, I'd be thrilled to have that in my tank!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen lots of sponges when I snorkel in the Florida Keys. It's not at all uncommon to see all kinds of things that are able to grow on the sponge.

I'd just leave it alone... or get some sponge food and encourage it to stay alive!

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ve had some crazy random organisms pop up in this tank but I am thankful for the biodiversity. When I found the sponge I also found a bivalve attached to that rock . It was attached under where the chalice was previously. I have seen it open and close so it’s still alive . Pretty cool . Love this hobby

Attachments

• IMG_4517.jpeg
    IMG_4517.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 10

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ve had some crazy random organisms pop up in this tank but I am thankful for the biodiversity. When I found the sponge I also found a bivalve attached to that rock . It was attached under where the chalice was previously. I have seen it open and close so it’s still alive . Pretty cool . Love this hobby
I bring home 1 or 2 small clams from the Keys when I go snorkeling. When I started to rearrange one of my tanks, I found several of them attached to rocks and very much alive. They are filter feeders, so good for the water quality.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back