What is this? clam/mussell?

jeepsehawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 1-2 inches long, mussel or clam? If I touch it, see movement in shell (retracts), very clear shell. 4 yr nano, 24 gallons and watched it grow for last 3 yrs. Does it mean my tank is healthy having this?
thumbnail_file-1.jpg

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like some sort of bivalve, also could be an oyster I suppose. Mussels and Oysters generally bind to structure whereas most non-giant clams stick to substrate or bury themselves in it.

OP
OP
jeepsehawk

jeepsehawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get better photo tomorrow. My tank, bad husbandry last year but still amazes me, sponge everywhere, multiple bristle starfish and bristleworms. Signs of healthy tank but hardly change water and it is crystal clear. 4 fish are 3.5 yrs old, try adding more and they always die. Bought a 24 dollar urchin, 2 days later I got an empty shell for jewelry. Tank is awesome but will not take anymore wild-life. Think it is at it's limit but very happy taking care of it again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back