What is this green thing?

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two if these showed up recently did-by-side the other day. Picked one off intact and acted like it was attached to rock like coral.

IMG_1433.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need to post a more in-focus pic... preferably under whites
Or take it out of the tank and put it on a shallow plate with a contrasting background so folks can see the shape.

Don’t zoom in too much and get a sharper image. It’s easier with a clear picture to enlarge it on the screen than getting a clear zoomed image with a phone camera

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or take it out of the tank and put it on a shallow plate with a contrasting background so folks can see the shape.

Don’t zoom in too much and get a sharper image. It’s easier with a clear picture to enlarge it on the screen than getting a clear zoomed image with a phone camera

This is the best I can do

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost positive its some kind of puffy Rhodactis. Did you introduce something recently or lose one a long time ago?
I have had not corals until yesterday and added one mushroom. I did buy a live rock when I started to cycle the aquarium and it has something growing one it (I'll get a pix of that as well and post it).

OP
OP
G

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had not corals until yesterday and added one mushroom. I did buy a live rock when I started to cycle the aquarium and it has something growing one it (I'll get a pix of that as well and post it).
Here is a pic of the live rock growth. It was on the rock when nought it, died off during cycling, and just returned. Very whit and fuzzy. Green mushroom a goo foot away and higher than this rock growth.

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 24

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the live rock growth. It was on the rock when nought it, died off during cycling, and just returned. Very whit and fuzzy. Green mushroom a goo foot away and higher than this rock growth.
So basically some mushrooms reproduce by "walking" out from where they are are leaving a footprint that grows out into a new one. That is what they look like early on. Basically you're starting with some free corals, the mushroom forum will know a lot more than me about them!

Also it looks like another mushroom is growing below? The orange thing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back