What is this growing in my tank?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a tangled web-like, white, soft, colony of something growing under a JF Raja Rampage. My first thought was some kind of a sponge but I don't recall ever seeing a filament-like sponge. My second thought was monti nudibranchs but this doesn't look like the typical nudibranchs that I had once in the past or like any photos I've seen posted, unless this is some kind of "colony formation" of nudibranchs that I am not aware of. It is also concerning that these are only under the Raja and an Orange Setosa colony which are my only two montipora corals. But, there has been no evidence of damage being done my these organisms.

Here are photos under the Raja:
Raja parasite.1.jpg

Raja parasite.jpg

After the photo, I easily pulled off about 3/4 of this material.

Next is a photo of the Orange Setosa colony. On the top left of the coral, you can see a filament that fell off the Raja as I was putting the Raja back into place:
Orange setosa parasite.jpg

And then, to complicate matters, on a nearby favia there was this worm-like structure that was attached on one end and easily removed. I believe it is some kind of animal because it has serrated-like appendages along each side; about 3/4". After removing it, I placed it in a container to examine and observe. but I've seen no movement of any kind. So, I have to wonder if it is related to the organisms above in some way:
favia parasite.jpg

Any ideas??
Thanks.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say i think you can rule out any kind of nudi's
Some sort of sponge i believe it is.i cant remember name.but seen it pop up now and then in threads.
That thing you took out tank looks at first glance like a flatworm or some kind bit would also say sponge. I will try see if can find another thread about that filtimous sponge in first pictures for you to see if can get a name for you

Edit : here one thread but no name yet for you.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say i think you can rule out any kind of nudi's
Some sort of sponge i believe it is.i cant remember name.but seen it pop up now and then in threads.
That thing you took out tank looks at first glance like a flatworm or some kind bit would also say sponge. I will try see if can find another thread about that filtimous sponge in first pictures for you to see if can get a name for you

Edit : here one thread but no name yet for you.

YES! Those "sponges" look just like mine. That is a nice relief....I certainly wasn't in the mood for dealing with some parasite. Maybe this is what I get for dosing ZeoVit Sponge Power! :)

Thanks for taking the time to find that thread and for replying! Much appreciated!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that last "worm-like" structure is some kind of an egg case??

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reef tanks so experience is low but just trying help you get an id to put your mind at ease and decide what/ if anything to do about it.
Ive always been under impression that sponges are good filter feeders and beneficial to your tanks and some like/ want them but some remove them if start encrusting in or on corals or just dont like look off them.what i read and the few ive had in my tank was very easy to remove.did read an article about why there bad for reef tanks but that was just opinion of one guy.some say dont lift sponges out of water as they take in air and then start to die and some can be toxic but what i see most say is they ok to have if you want them. Im sure someone more experienced will give you a name soon if you intetested.

Here is that article with why sponges are bad for reef tanks to get other side of opinion why they bad like clogging equioment.stealing coral nutrients etc but when seen others comment on this thread its mixed reviews off serioysness of what this article saus but interesting none the least.and you very welcone.im new to salt as i say so repkying to you hopefully helps you and gice you little more kbowledge if didmt already kbow but also helps myself learn a bit more as i go ^_^

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reef tanks so experience is low but just trying help you get an id to put your mind at ease and decide what/ if anything to do about it.
Ive always been under impression that sponges are good filter feeders and beneficial to your tanks and some like/ want them but some remove them if start encrusting in or on corals or just dont like look off them.what i read and the few ive had in my tank was very easy to remove.did read an article about why there bad for reef tanks but that was just opinion of one guy.some say dont lift sponges out of water as they take in air and then start to die and some can be toxic but what i see most say is they ok to have if you want them. Im sure someone more experienced will give you a name soon if you intetested.
Yes, sponges are very beneficial. I always seed tanks with as many species as I can and as mentioned, dose with KZ Sponge Power. I also like to put rocks in sump where it is dark and there is high flow. Sponges will grow like crazy in that environment.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From other replys seems like last picture others think sponge also ?
Im not sure but interesting looking indeed.
Sponges/ tunicates as far as im aware have entry/ exit points to let water flow through them ? Has it got any holes at each end and does it pulsate at all ?
I know you said in container it didnt move at all so guess that your answer

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sponges are very beneficial. I always seed tanks with as many species as I can and as mentioned, dose with KZ Sponge Power. I also like to put rocks in sump where it is dark and there is high flow. Sponges will grow like crazy in that environment.
I been doing little research lately on cryptic zones and the benefits of organisms like sponges populating these areas amongst others but little over my paygrade at moment i think best to try master the basic things first and not try run before i can walk so to speak ha ha

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From other replys seems like last picture others think sponge also ?
Im not sure but interesting looking indeed.
Sponges/ tunicates as far as im aware have entry/ exit points to let water flow through them ? Has it got any holes at each end and does it pulsate at all ?
I know you said in container it didnt move at all so guess that your answer
No there is no movement. I can't see any openings with a magnifying glass. (I have an operating microscope but unfortunately I just moved and it is still packed in storage).

Back