What is this growing on my Discosoma

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coral I bought was a Discosoma after reading that it was a great started coral and if you can't keep one of these alive you should find a new hobby.
Well, it has been doing poorly while everything else I've got (softies, LPS, SPS) is thriving or at least staying alive.Who'da thunk it!
A few days ago I noticed this weird looking bubble like structure growing the piece of rock the Discosoma was mounted on. It appears on two distinct surfaces on the rock. What is it and should I get it out of the tank or let it grow?

20180208PBG_2693.jpg

20180208PBG_2695.jpg

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is a small enough rock I usually just take the rock out and pull them all off
Yes, the rock is small enough to remove. Also you said the mushroom is doing fine. It looked so much better a couple of months ago. It used to sort of glow at night and had some texture.
Now it just seems kind of flat and dull.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the rock is small enough to remove. Also you said the mushroom is doing fine. It looked so much better a couple of months ago. It used to sort of glow at night and had some texture.
Now it just seems kind of flat and dull.
oh. if it is losing colors that might be a result of too low or too high lighting. you could try to move its position and see if that helps

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh. if it is losing colors that might be a result of too low or too high lighting. you could try to move its position and see if that helps
It's sitting on the bottom of the tank and in a corner. I moved it there as it was not looking so good after I upgraded to 2 - AI 26HD lights. I used to have just a strip of the Current Orbit lights and the AI's were a big step up so I thought maybe it was getting too much light. Tank is a 90 gal
Can certainly try another spot in the tank - anywhere else will be more light.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sitting on the bottom of the tank and in a corner. I moved it there as it was not looking so good after I upgraded to 2 - AI 26HD lights. I used to have just a strip of the Current Orbit lights and the AI's were a big step up so I thought maybe it was getting too much light. Tank is a 90 gal
Can certainly try another spot in the tank - anywhere else will be more light.
sounds like it needs less light then. is there a cave/overhang it can be by ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back