What is this hitchhiker

  • Thread starter Thread starter op6rigo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

op6rigo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2015
Messages
70
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448729074.254169.jpg
 
Are we talking about that asterina starfish on the glass?
 
Does anyone know why it should or should not be removed
 
They are great algae eaters although they multiply very very very fast and can become a nuisance, if you get a wrasse it will keep them in check will still being able to use their amazing algae eating abilities
 
I have them in my tank and they are great algae eaters.

I don't know the truth, but it is believed the white to grey ones are reef-safe, while the colored ones might munch on certain corals. I have the white ones and never had a problem.
 
There is a predatory form but it's rare. I wouldn't remove it and I wouldn't worry about a population explosion.
 
A harlequin shrimp works also
A harlequin shrimp will eat them, but starfish are the only thing they will eat. If you add one to your tank it will starve after it has eaten all of the starfish, unless you have a source and can continue to add starfish for the shrimp to eat.
 
A harlequin shrimp will eat them, but starfish are the only thing they will eat. If you add one to your tank it will starve after it has eaten all of the starfish, unless you have a source and can continue to add starfish for the shrimp to eat.
Yeah that is a downside, but you can get sea star and keep it in your refugium and feed the shrimp a leg every other week
 
I don't trust them...

When somebody can distinguish the bad ones from the good ones without a doubt let me know...
 
I have hundreds and mine only eat coralline and other algae. There are approximately 60 varieties and only a few eat coral. Nardoa starfish and some Linkia will eat them also.
image.jpeg
 
Let me guess, you probably have a somewhat large tank? (75+) If that's the case, the damage that these stars might be doing can easily go unnoticed. Recreate that same thing in a nano and throw a bunch of these in there... I think y'all might change your tune... (under the microscope so to say) JMO, GL.

On a side note; did you get that star to eat those stars?
 
Last edited:
Let me guess, you probably have a somewhat large tank? (75+) If that's the case, the damage that these stars might be doing can easily go unnoticed. Recreate that same thing in a nano and throw a bunch of these in there... I think y'all might change your tune... (under the microscope so to say) JMO, GL.

On a side note; did you get that star to eat those stars?
It does munch on them, I also harvest them and feed a harlequin in another tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new