What is this? I know it’s not good because I didn’t put it in there

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jyst noticed this one little guy hiding out. I think I know what it is but can’t remember name to search. Mahano, ma... I don’t remember. Aptasia maybe. Fairly new but getting familiar with a whole host of algae’s over the last few months. Cyano, hair, bubble. Only one of these so far so best way to remove, tweezers? Dynamite?

E2C956F4-1236-4C06-9735-EDAE39AE60BF.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jyst noticed this one little guy hiding out. I think I know what it is but can’t remember name to search. Mahano, ma... I don’t remember. Aptasia maybe. Fairly new but getting familiar with a whole host of algae’s over the last few months. Cyano, hair, bubble. Only one of these so far so best way to remove, tweezers? Dynamite?

E2C956F4-1236-4C06-9735-EDAE39AE60BF.jpeg
That is an aptasia anemone. And below that is a vermedit snail. The aptasia is bad and you'll want to get rid of it. The vermedit snail is ok, but can bother corals if they're left unchecked. To get rid of the aptasia there are a couple things you can do. The best would he to pull the rock and scrape off as much if it as you can, and then put either superglue or epoxy over where it was to prevent any leftovers from coming back.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Of course it’s onthe bottom rock so no go on removing rock.
Do you think if I tweezer it off and then cover the area with aqua stick epoxy and super glue should do the trick?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Of course it’s onthe bottom rock so no go on removing rock.
Do you think if I tweezer it off and then cover the area with aqua stick epoxy and super glue should do the trick?
Yup
! :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pull it off do not lose any fragment of it in the tank. A tiny piece can grow into a new one. I dont like them. In my tank if I cant get the rock out, I hit them with hot vinegar injected right down the throat. Then the next day I hit the area again. Like stated above Ap..-X works too

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 8.0%
Back