What is this macro in my display.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this CAULERPA? Unfortunately this growing like a weed and not easy to pull off the rocks as it breaks up. I already removed a big rock that was covered in it and put in my fuge I noticed it spread to a couple zoa rocks too. Over time I see this taking over the tank and need a solution.

any snail or urchin that eats it?

I removed this rock early on but not soon enough before it spread.

09C9A57C-BF5C-43D3-8D4C-98C89E3088FA.jpeg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be Caulerpa prolifera. If it was me, I would move it to the sandbed and keep it. It looks very natural (though not everyone enjoys that look). People buy this algae online because of its desirable appearance.

It does grow rapidly in good nutrients so if the speed is a problem I would try urchins. Slate pencil urchins (not reef safe) or pincushion/short spines will likely eat it. If you manually remove or dispose of it microwave it first as it is highly invasive in some areas. I agree that emeralds would also probably snack on it, but they are sometimes too slow. Maybe both.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be Caulerpa prolifera. If it was me, I would move it to the sandbed and keep it. It looks very natural (though not everyone enjoys that look). People buy this algae online because of its desirable appearance.

It does grow rapidly in good nutrients so if the speed is a problem I would try urchins. Slate pencil urchins (not reef safe) or pincushion/short spines will likely eat it. If you manually remove or dispose of it microwave it first as it is highly invasive in some areas. I agree that emeralds would also probably snack on it, but they are sometimes too slow. Maybe both.
Unfortunately this is an old pic. It has spread to a couple rocks. one large piece that I already removed to the fuge. The two other rocks are covered with zoas.

i will try a pincushion for now Appreciate the help

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is an old pic. It has spread to a couple rocks. one large piece that I already removed to the fuge. The two other rocks are covered with zoas.

i will try a pincushion for now Appreciate the help
What size tank?

tbasinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s calurpa for sure. It’s invasive properties are why more people choose chaeto fore their refugiums. Once it becomes sexual it can completely take over a display tank. If I was you I’d do whatever it takes to get rid of it through manual removal, I wouldn’t expect a couple of emeralds to take care of it.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a recent pic of the two small rocks I found it on. The pic at the bottom showed where the large rock was I removed.

502CCDA4-D3A0-4E2B-91F1-0CCE84A0F739.jpeg
91A3632F-678E-46C7-8930-C484AF3F22EF.jpeg

8C66AE59-66E7-413E-AF7C-69EEA3C7528B.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a tiny 10 gal. I would need to remove the urchin once it does it’s job. I have a 32 gal I can throw it in.

self removal really isn’t an option even though it’s a tiny tank. This stuff really get stuck in all the crevices.
Can you borrow a tiny tang from your LFS? Lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back