What is this really tiny creature on my glass?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the glass with my macro lens and stumbled across this small creature.

I've attached an image with a flatworm (I know I know :() to give size reference and a video to show movement. I'm lucky to have even seen it, it's so small

20220419_130205.jpg

Video Link:

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the heck would it have come from? Maybe a baby emerald crab? That's the only one, besides hermits, in my tank

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emerald is probably a pretty safe bet, but how old is your tank? Did you use Live rock/sand, or have you have added any corals/macros recently? These are all possible entry points.

Unfortunately, the baby there is probably going to die (baby crabs have difficult diets to maintain), but if it lives I’d be excited to see what it turns into.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emerald is probably a pretty safe bet, but how old is your tank? Did you use Live rock/sand, or have you have added any corals/macros recently? These are all possible entry points.

Unfortunately, the baby there is probably going to die (baby crabs have difficult diets to maintain), but if it lives I’d be excited to see what it turns into.

This tank is almost a year old and was seeded with rock from my 3ish year old 75gallon. New sand. Last round of corals added maybe 3 months ago.

I tried looking for it again about 30 mins ago (picture was taken about 3 hrs ago) and couldn't find it. I'll assume it won't make it until I see a smaller emerald (or other crab) than my current one around the tank lol

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are usually several steps in a crabs life before it looks like a crab so the one you saw was not born in your tank. They start life as plankton.
iu

Back