What is this red algae in my tank and how do I fix it?

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past couple of weeks this Algae has just got worse and worse and I don’t know what to do. At first there was just a little bit and I tried to scoop it out and I feel like it just made it worse. I am going to do a water change later but if anyone has any better suggestions or any idea what kind of algae it is please share.
Thanks
DBB8DBF6-A35C-4D45-87E7-471C2445F9F7.jpeg
90B71482-6D1C-4151-80A3-F3BEAD811708.jpeg

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the color is red, your algae is most likely a blue green algae species. They are more related to bacteria than true algae species. They can be tough to beat and then all of a sudden they are gone when the environment no longer supports their growth. Focus on reducing nutrients in the tank (don't over feed). Increase water changes. Vacuum out as much as you can with every water change. Don't let the algae mats sit around. Try to remove them. Reduce the lights, especially the red end of the spectrum.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano...

Chemiclean is my recommendation. Some point to this parameter or that one, or some balance. I dunno whatever, run Chemiclean and be done with it. Repeat if necessary. Flow seems to be the one universal thing. It loves low flow areas.

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red slime algae or Cyanobacteria. Doing a search on the site should yield lots of results. Lowering the photoperiod, water changes and nutrient export are the top ways to get rid of it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back