What is this slimy film growing on branching hammer?

rnaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this branching hammer for a while, and I recently noticed a semi clear slimy film growing on it's branches. Does anyone know what that is? Anything to worry about?
Also some of the new heads are almost detaching from the main branches. See attached pictures. Not sure if related to the slimy film!

PXL_20231216_212234484.jpg PXL_20231216_212336235.jpg PXL_20231216_213534765.jpg PXL_20231216_221447784.jpg PXL_20231216_221418203~2.jpg PXL_20231216_221316078.jpg PXL_20231216_221407572~2.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got do white light pictures. It’s impossible to see under the blues bud

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried taking a toothbrush to it and see if it comes off really easily? It’s tough to make out what it is. Sorta looks like a sponge

OP
OP
R

rnaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried taking a toothbrush to it and see if it comes off really easily? It’s tough to make out what it is. Sorta looks like a sponge
Yes, a couple of weeks ago I upgraded my tank, and before I placed the hammer into the new tank, I did brush some of this stuff off with a toothbrush. It does come off and it feels a bit slimy. It's not hard at all. But more seems to be growing back, and I'm worried that it'll spread to the heads. In my old tank, some of it was also growing on the back glass and it had some interesting pattern. I wish I had a picture to share but the tank is gone now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that looks like a sponge to me (I also see some vermetid snails); as a general rule of thumb, if the coral is still opening/doesn't seem upset near where the sponge is growing, and if the sponge isn't growing over and smothering the polyps of the coral, then the sponge is probably harmless.

It generally (understandably) scares people a bit when they see a sponge growing on the coral skeleton/stalk, but if it's not bothering the coral chemically or actively smothering it by overcoming the coral's own chemical defenses, then it's probably not a bad sponge.

That said, it's always a situation where I'd suggest keeping an eye on it just in case.

OP
OP
R

rnaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that looks like a sponge to me (I also see some vermetid snails); as a general rule of thumb, if the coral is still opening/doesn't seem upset near where the sponge is growing, and if the sponge isn't growing over and smothering the polyps of the coral, then the sponge is probably harmless.

It generally (understandably) scares people a bit when they see a sponge growing on the coral skeleton/stalk, but if it's not bothering the coral chemically or actively smothering it by overcoming the coral's own chemical defenses, then it's probably not a bad sponge.

That said, it's always a situation where I'd suggest keeping an eye on it just in case.
Thank you for the information! I need to research the vermerid snails as I'm not familiar with them.

For the hammer, I have a small piece that had broken off with the sponge on it as well. It doesn't look happy as the polyps are not opening much. I'll take it out tomorrow, brush the sponge off and see if it improves. If it does, then I'll need to figure out how get rid of the sponge from all the branches without breaking the new polyps that are forming. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back