What is this? Someone gotta know lol

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam! So I’ve cycled many tanks and this is the first time that I’ve cycled using ammonium chloride and Dr Tim’s… not sure if this is because of it but my tank is cloudy and has a white powdering kind of substance on glass walls and pump as shown in the pics. I know a bacterial bloom but never had it like this. Every tanks I’ve set up it’s always cleared up up the next day! Should I worry? Do anything ?

Only have a media basket with floss with carbon and bio spheres?

Help

IMG_7867.jpeg IMG_7866.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the special complement is unrinsed sand and the silt particles that complex with bacterial slicks. 99% of aquarists won't pre rinse bagged live sand for concern about killing it's bacteria

simply remove it all out and do a fresh water change. theres no benefit to keeping the mess, no harm in removing it with a few gallons siphon exchange. it wont stop the cycle to do basic cleaning.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam! So I’ve cycled many tanks and this is the first time that I’ve cycled using ammonium chloride and Dr Tim’s… not sure if this is because of it but my tank is cloudy and has a white powdering kind of substance on glass walls and pump as shown in the pics. I know a bacterial bloom but never had it like this. Every tanks I’ve set up it’s always cleared up up the next day! Should I worry? Do anything ?

Help

That looks like silt from the sand like @brandon429 said. Did you rinse it?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im guessing its a the undisolved calcium silt from the sand.

You need some fine filtration media with like 100-200 micron, or a lot of patience... like up to 1-2 weeks possibly.

How large is the tank? A Mini Magnium would probably clear that up in a day, but mini magniums are still kinda big.

Look for the MarineLand Magnum 200, you want the 200, not the original, as im pretty sure the original will be too big, unless thats a 40 cube?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You need some fine filtration media with like 100-200 micron, or a lot of patience... like up to 1-2 weeks possibly.

How large is the tank? A Mini Magnium would probably clear that up in a day, but mini magniums are still kinda big.

Look for the MarineLand Magnum 200, you want the 200, not the original, as im pretty sure the original will be too big, unless thats a 40 cube?
Thank you so much. This is a 32 cube. And the small packet in the bag that clears I couldn’t find it. I dug through sand and nothing

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do I use marine magnum 200?? I know it’s a canister but I know nothing about it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn’t I’ve never done it. Now I regret it so what should I do? I’m cleaning powerhead and stuff now?

Just wipe it off and rinse the filter sock/pad afterwards. Live sand shouldn't be rinsed and it's fine. There is a reason why chlorine or chloramine. is added to tap water.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I use marine magnum 200?? I know it’s a canister but I know nothing about it

its not a canister... its a powerhead that has a micron filter option.
filter.JPG

This is the option im talking about that comes with the filter:
micron.JPG

So you put the entire unit inside the tank, let it run for a day, and your water will be crystal clear..

Then you take a razor, and gently get rid of that calcium deposit on your glass.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH USING A PAD.

Ive heard of people scratching the glass from the sediment.
Take a razor and get the white stuff off that way, or use a tooth brush.
It should just brush off, and whatever part you can't get off, use the razor as a follow up.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not a canister... its a powerhead that has a micron filter option.
filter.JPG

This is the option im talking about that comes with the filter:
micron.JPG

So you put the entire unit inside the tank, let it run for a day, and your water will be crystal clear..

Then you take a razor, and gently get rid of that calcium deposit on your glass.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH USING A PAD.

Ive heard of people scratching the glass from the sediment.
Take a razor and get the white stuff off that way, or use a tooth brush.
It should just brush off, and whatever part you can't get off, use the razor as a follow up.
Perfect! It actually cleared up after adding a filter sock too one of the empty compartments in the back take in of residue off and rinsing the floss I had in another compartment… pics to follow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Help

Often you get a film from new sand and will emit a fine dust if not rinsed and from silicate particulates. Wipe off with a sponge and often good flow and filtration will quickly reduce this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back